Map of Nigeria
| credits: File copy
Experts in the oil and gas industry have said the increased Western sanction on Iran could be an advantage to Nigeria in terms of increased crude oil sales.
They said this in reaction to Iran’s threat to stop exporting oil if the United States and other western nations imposed tougher sanctions on it.
Reuters recently reported that the Iranian Oil Minister, Rostam Qasemi, told journalists in Dubai, that the country would stop oil exports if pressure from Western sanctions got any tighter and that it had a “Plan B” contingency strategy to survive without oil revenues.
An oil and gas consultant and Chairman, International Energy Services, Dr. Oladiran Fawibe, told SUNDAY PUNCH that Iran stopping oil export would be a clear advantage to Nigeria.
“The sanctions have already resulted in the restriction of Iranian oil in the global market. So, if Iran stops exporting oil completely, that would mean that the countries that are still patronising it for now would have to look to other oil producing countries to meet their energy needs. That means that the shortfall will be shared amongst the other countries that export oil, which includes Nigeria,” he said.
Fawibe added that the quality of the oil would also determine which countries would benefit most if Iran stopped oil export.
“It’s also necessary to note that the Iranian oil is sour crude, it is not as light as Nigerian crude. So, for those countries that have been buying from Iran, Nigerian crude would be more expensive for them but it would help them meet their energy needs. So, on a general note, if Iran stops exporting oil, it would be a positive development for Nigeria,” he said.
Similarly, another oil and gas expert, Dayo Adesina, said if Iran stops selling oil, Nigeria would have the opportunity to sell more oil to the Asian market.
Adesina, who is the Managing Director of Strategic Energy Limited, told our correspondent that the development would boost Nigeria’s oil sales.
“It would be an advantage to Nigeria because that would mean that supply would become tighter and Nigeria would have the opportunity to sell more oil. We have been selling largely to the United States and since the American market is going low, this could be an opportunity for Nigeria to supply more to the Asian market,” he said.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)