Map of Nigeria
| credits: File copy
Experts in the oil and gas industry have said the increased Western sanction on Iran could be an advantage to Nigeria in terms of increased crude oil sales.
They said this in reaction to Iran’s threat to stop exporting oil if the United States and other western nations imposed tougher sanctions on it.
Reuters recently reported that the Iranian Oil Minister, Rostam Qasemi, told journalists in Dubai, that the country would stop oil exports if pressure from Western sanctions got any tighter and that it had a “Plan B” contingency strategy to survive without oil revenues.
An oil and gas consultant and Chairman, International Energy Services, Dr. Oladiran Fawibe, told SUNDAY PUNCH that Iran stopping oil export would be a clear advantage to Nigeria.
“The sanctions have already resulted in the restriction of Iranian oil in the global market. So, if Iran stops exporting oil completely, that would mean that the countries that are still patronising it for now would have to look to other oil producing countries to meet their energy needs. That means that the shortfall will be shared amongst the other countries that export oil, which includes Nigeria,” he said.
Fawibe added that the quality of the oil would also determine which countries would benefit most if Iran stopped oil export.
“It’s also necessary to note that the Iranian oil is sour crude, it is not as light as Nigerian crude. So, for those countries that have been buying from Iran, Nigerian crude would be more expensive for them but it would help them meet their energy needs. So, on a general note, if Iran stops exporting oil, it would be a positive development for Nigeria,” he said.
Similarly, another oil and gas expert, Dayo Adesina, said if Iran stops selling oil, Nigeria would have the opportunity to sell more oil to the Asian market.
Adesina, who is the Managing Director of Strategic Energy Limited, told our correspondent that the development would boost Nigeria’s oil sales.
“It would be an advantage to Nigeria because that would mean that supply would become tighter and Nigeria would have the opportunity to sell more oil. We have been selling largely to the United States and since the American market is going low, this could be an opportunity for Nigeria to supply more to the Asian market,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover