The UK is to end financial aid to India by 2015, international development secretary, Justine Greening, has said.
British Broadcasting Corporation reports that support worth about £200m ($319m) will be phased out between now and 2015 and the UK’s focus will then shift to offering technical assistance.
Greening said the move, which will be popular with Tory MPs, reflected India’s economic progress and status.
Giving his reaction, India’s foreign minister Salman Khurshid said: “Aid is the past and trade is the future.”
But charities described the move as “premature” and warned it would be the poorest who suffered.
Until last year, when it was overtaken by Ethiopia, India was the biggest recipient of bilateral aid from the UK, receiving an average of £227m a year in direct financial support over the past three years.
But the UK’s support for India, one of the world’s fastest-growing economies, has been a cause of concern among Conservative MPs, many of whom believed that the UK should not be giving money to a country which has a multi-million pound space programme.
Ministers have defended the level of financial help in the past on the basis of the extreme poverty that remains in rural areas and historical colonial ties between the two countries.
Ms Greening has been conducting a review of all financial aid budgets since taking over the role in September and visited India earlier in the week to discuss existing arrangements.
She said the visit confirmed the “tremendous progress” that India was making and reinforced her view that the basis of the UK’s support needed to shift from direct aid to technical assistance in future.
The announcement that the UK is scrapping aid to India has been long expected and will not have come as a surprise to the Indian government.
UK International Development Secretary Justine Greening was in India early this week to meet senior Indian government officials who were briefed on the move.
India has long held the position that while it welcomes financial aid from overseas from those who choose to give it, it will never actively seek it.
The move is also a recognition of India’s economic transformation.
It’s now the third largest investor in the UK and the largest market for British goods outside the EU.
But much of the UK aid money was used to fund projects in some of India’s poorest areas and some will worry that those at the receiving end could suffer.
“After reviewing the programme and holding discussions with the government of India, we agreed that now is the time to move to a relationship focusing on skillsharing rather than aid,” she said.
“India is successfully developing and our own bilateral relationship has to keep up with 21st Century India.
“It is time to recognise India’s changing place in the world.”
Although all existing financial grants will be honoured, the UK will not sign off any new programmes from now on.
Last year the UK gave India about £250m in bilateral aid as well as £29m in technical co-operation.
By focusing post-2015 support on trade, skills and assisting private sector anti-poverty projects which can generate a return on investment, the UK estimates its overall contribution will be one-tenth of the current figure.
In making the decision, the UK is citing the progress India has made in tackling poverty in recent years. It says 60 million people have been lifted out of poverty as a result of the doubling of spending on health and education since 2006.
India spends £70bn on its social welfare budget, compared with £2.2bn on defence and £780m on space exploration.
From 2015, development experts will continue to work alongside the Foreign Office and UK Trade and Investment but focus on sharing advice on poverty reduction, private sector projects and global partnerships in food security, climate change and disease prevention.
Latest Nigeria News
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover