Managing Director, NDDC, Dr. Christian Oboh
A former Executive Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission, Pastor Power Aginigan, has advised the National Assembly to remove the control of the 13 per cent derivation funds from the governors in the Niger Delta region.
Aginighan explained that this was necessary in order to enable oil producing communities in the region to enjoy from the proceeds of the natural resources in their area.
The ex-NDDC executive director gave this advice on Saturday while making his presentation at the public hearing on the amendment of the 1999 Constitution.
Aginighan observed that most governors of the oil producing states had failed to recognise the oil producing communities in their disbursement of the 13 per cent derivation funds.
He said, a large part of the funds was used by some of the governors to develop areas that did not produce crude oil.
He explained that most of the areas enjoying from the derivation funds were not experiencing any form of environmental degradation.
Aginighan noted that the development was already causing agitation in the affected communities as indigenes had begun to cry foul.
“The oil mineral and gas bearing communities have been at the mercy of powerful State Governors, most of whom utilize the larger portion of derivation funds for areas that do not suffer environmental devastation arising from oil exploration and exploitation activities.
“The danger in the present arrangement is that oil mineral bearing communities are alienated from the benefits of the wealth that accrues from their land.
“This in turn keeps the national economy in potential danger as the aggrieved host communities can vent their frustration on the oil producing companies and facilities.
He urged the National Assembly to amend the 1999 Constitution to encourage the payment of 13 per cent derivation funds into a trust fund that would be managed by a board.
Aginighan suggested that members of such board should be drawn from the oil producing communities, adding that appointment to the board should be done by the country’s President.
The former NDDC director also suggested that the Electoral Act should be amended in order to strengthen the country’s democratic system.
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well