Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) at the weekend flagged off the first ever Lagos Sea Food Festival, describing it as an opportunity to showcase the enormous entrepreneurship, hardwork and resourcefulness of the people who live in the coastal areas.
The Governor who spoke at the Eko Atlantic City Beachfront in Victoria Island venue of the event which had in attendance participants in the Kuramo Conference 2012 and other notables including the First Lady, Dame Emmanuella Abimbola Fashola, traditional rulers and exhibitors said the seafood festival would be an opportunity to promote what is indigenous.
He wondered why residents of Lagos despite their closeness to the coastline and prevalence of fresh fish and seafood still prefer to eat frozen foods, stressing that Lagosians should promote what is their own “This Food festival will showcase the enormous opportunities and unlock the treasure box of 180 kilometres of Atlantic water, our lagoons and creeks which nature has invested in Lagos but which we are yet to optimize,” he added.
The Governor said in coastal areas like Ibeju Lekki, Epe, Eti Osa and Badagry, there are people who for generations have depended on the natural resources that water provides for Lagos to make a living, adding that the festival is aimed at showcasing them. Governor Fashola said the timing of the Seafood festival to coincide with the ongoing Kuramo Conference Lagos 2012 is not an accident but one which was debated and decided upon by the members of the State Executive Council to showcase the rural areas in the State.
He explained that it was no accident that during his address at the opening ceremony of the Kuramo Conference 2012, he spoke about how Africa must unlock the opportunities which currently are not available to children of Cote D’ivoire thus leading to a situation where the country produces cocoa but her children do not know what chocolates tastes like.
The Governor noted that the Lagos Sea Food Festival is being linked with Kuramo because the present administration believes that the exportation of local Nigerian and African cuisines would be one of the milestones that would be recorded and exported to the world in a short while. Governor Fashola expressed happiness that the festival has also provided opportunities to creative young people who have various items such as local ovens which could be used to smoke the seafoods and exhibited at the festival.
He added that the present administration in Lagos State is very passionate about the exposure of the potentials of the business in seafoods, adding that what is happening at the festival should be what happens on the various beachfronts.
The Governor said for a country like Nigeria, the promotion and encouragement of sea foods business and its economy should be what life away from oil should be. Earlier, The State Commissioner for Agriculture and Cooperatives, Prince Gbolahan Lawal in an address of welcome said the Lagos Seafood Festival is aimed at showcasing what the local population have and can do.
He added that it would also be an opportunity for the various participants, exhibitors and visitors to the festival to network and expand the frontiers of their businesses. The Festival was attended by participants at the Kuramo Conference Lagos 2012, traditional rulers, fish entrepreneurs and members of the State Executive Council. It featured exhibitions from various providers of delicacies made from sea foods. SIGNED HAKEEM BELLO SPECIAL ADVISER TO H.E ON MEDIA NOVEMBER 10, 2012
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well