Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) at the weekend flagged off the first ever Lagos Sea Food Festival, describing it as an opportunity to showcase the enormous entrepreneurship, hardwork and resourcefulness of the people who live in the coastal areas.
The Governor who spoke at the Eko Atlantic City Beachfront in Victoria Island venue of the event which had in attendance participants in the Kuramo Conference 2012 and other notables including the First Lady, Dame Emmanuella Abimbola Fashola, traditional rulers and exhibitors said the seafood festival would be an opportunity to promote what is indigenous.
He wondered why residents of Lagos despite their closeness to the coastline and prevalence of fresh fish and seafood still prefer to eat frozen foods, stressing that Lagosians should promote what is their own “This Food festival will showcase the enormous opportunities and unlock the treasure box of 180 kilometres of Atlantic water, our lagoons and creeks which nature has invested in Lagos but which we are yet to optimize,” he added.
The Governor said in coastal areas like Ibeju Lekki, Epe, Eti Osa and Badagry, there are people who for generations have depended on the natural resources that water provides for Lagos to make a living, adding that the festival is aimed at showcasing them. Governor Fashola said the timing of the Seafood festival to coincide with the ongoing Kuramo Conference Lagos 2012 is not an accident but one which was debated and decided upon by the members of the State Executive Council to showcase the rural areas in the State.
He explained that it was no accident that during his address at the opening ceremony of the Kuramo Conference 2012, he spoke about how Africa must unlock the opportunities which currently are not available to children of Cote D’ivoire thus leading to a situation where the country produces cocoa but her children do not know what chocolates tastes like.
The Governor noted that the Lagos Sea Food Festival is being linked with Kuramo because the present administration believes that the exportation of local Nigerian and African cuisines would be one of the milestones that would be recorded and exported to the world in a short while. Governor Fashola expressed happiness that the festival has also provided opportunities to creative young people who have various items such as local ovens which could be used to smoke the seafoods and exhibited at the festival.
He added that the present administration in Lagos State is very passionate about the exposure of the potentials of the business in seafoods, adding that what is happening at the festival should be what happens on the various beachfronts.
The Governor said for a country like Nigeria, the promotion and encouragement of sea foods business and its economy should be what life away from oil should be. Earlier, The State Commissioner for Agriculture and Cooperatives, Prince Gbolahan Lawal in an address of welcome said the Lagos Seafood Festival is aimed at showcasing what the local population have and can do.
He added that it would also be an opportunity for the various participants, exhibitors and visitors to the festival to network and expand the frontiers of their businesses. The Festival was attended by participants at the Kuramo Conference Lagos 2012, traditional rulers, fish entrepreneurs and members of the State Executive Council. It featured exhibitions from various providers of delicacies made from sea foods. SIGNED HAKEEM BELLO SPECIAL ADVISER TO H.E ON MEDIA NOVEMBER 10, 2012
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)