By IHEANACHO NWOSU, Abuja
Ahead of today’s public session organised by the National Assembly in all the constituencies across the country, in relation to the review of the 1999 constitution, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon Aminu Tambuwal, has assured that every Nigerian would be carried along in a transparent manner all through the amendment.
In line with the promise of transparency, Tambuwal said the public session, which is christened ‘Peoples Session’, will be videoed and the electronic document will be made available to anybody that wants to know the details of the exercise.
“It is in the spirit of unrestrained transparency that video coverage of all the proceedings is instituted. This electronic document will be available for purposes of reference and verification,” the speaker stated this through his Media Adviser, Mallam Imam Imam. Tambuwal, however, refuted media report that he was in support of the inclusion of referendum in the processes of the review. He said he could have backed what he knew was not accommodated in the constitution.
According to Tambuwal, the House will adopt every constitutional and transparent means to deliver an acceptable constitution. Giving detailed explanation on why the National Assembly members want to hold session at the grassroots, he said: “Whereas the House of Representatives is fully conscious of the fact that under Section 4 of the Constitution, the legislative powers of the Federal Republic of Nigeria are vested in the National Assembly and that by Section 9 of same, the procedure for altering the constitution is expressly prescribed, we do not lose sight of Section 14 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria which encourages the promotion of popular participation by the citizenry in governance.
“It is in the light of this realisation that we have opted for a process, which is certainly more cumbersome. The main objective is to inject credibility into the process and by necessary implication the final document and ensure genuine ownership by Nigerians.” On the call for the use of referendum instead of public session, Tambuwal stressed: “While acknowledging the public compliments that have greeted the People’s Public Sessions initiative, I also note the well intentioned suggestions put forth by other individuals and groups for alternatives, the most prominently canvassed being the employment of referendum as a process for the constitution review.
“I consider it imperative, both in my capacity as the Speaker and head of the institution midwifing the constitutional review process and also as a legal practitioner, to offer opinion on our preference for the people’s public sessions rather than referendum. As an institution, we have sworn to defend the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. This implies that whatever our zeal in responding to public and even popular opinion on issues of critical national importance we must at all times be guided by the spirit and letter of this Constitution.
“Having said so, permit me to state right away that referendum, as a legislative process, is not contemplated by the Nigerian constitution. It cannot therefore be an option, being unconstitutional.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover