Greece is to make an urgent bid to raise funds from the financial markets in case it does not get another tranche of bailout aid in time to repay debts.
British Broadcasting Corporation reports that on Tuesday, it plans to issue bonds, repayable in one and three months, to cover debt repayments due on Friday.
The bond issue is to raise 3.12bn euros ($4bn; £2.4bn), to help the country repay creditors owed about 4bn euros.
Greece is negotiating to secure aid worth 31.5bn euros from the European Union and International Monetary Fund.
Without the aid, heavily-indebted Greece would face bankruptcy.
Manos Chatzidakis, an analyst at Beta Securities in Athens, said the four-week treasury auction was an unusual but necessary step.
It would keep Athens afloat until leaders of the eurozone meet on 26 November to approve payment of the latest rescue loans. Despite the Athens Parliament passing the hugely unpopular austerity cutbacks, the EU, IMF and European Central Bank are still reviewing the country’s finances.
“This is bridge financing ahead of the November 26 decision, to ensure that there is no problem with [repaying] bondholders. It is unorthodox, but it’s a form of bridge financing and not the beginning of regular such issues. It has a purely technical role,” Chatzidakis said.
The news came as Cyprus began a new round of talks about a bailout to support the country’s ailing banks and service its debt payments.
Negotiators from the EU, ECB and the IMF – collectively known as troika – held talks with senior government officials from Cyprus’s finance ministry and central bank. The talks are expected to continue into next week.
Cyprus has been unable to tap international financial markets for money since last year because of its junk credit rating. The country has been negotiating with Russia for money, but the talks are thought to have stalled.
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well