Managing Director, NDDC, Dr. Christian Oboh
A former Executive Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission, Pastor Power Aginigan, has advised the National Assembly to remove the control of the 13 per cent derivation funds from the governors in the Niger Delta region.
Aginighan explained that this was necessary in order to enable oil producing communities in the region to enjoy from the proceeds of the natural resources in their area.
The ex-NDDC executive director gave this advice on Saturday while making his presentation at the public hearing on the amendment of the 1999 Constitution.
Aginighan observed that most governors of the oil producing states had failed to recognise the oil producing communities in their disbursement of the 13 per cent derivation funds.
He said, a large part of the funds was used by some of the governors to develop areas that did not produce crude oil.
He explained that most of the areas enjoying from the derivation funds were not experiencing any form of environmental degradation.
Aginighan noted that the development was already causing agitation in the affected communities as indigenes had begun to cry foul.
“The oil mineral and gas bearing communities have been at the mercy of powerful State Governors, most of whom utilize the larger portion of derivation funds for areas that do not suffer environmental devastation arising from oil exploration and exploitation activities.
“The danger in the present arrangement is that oil mineral bearing communities are alienated from the benefits of the wealth that accrues from their land.
“This in turn keeps the national economy in potential danger as the aggrieved host communities can vent their frustration on the oil producing companies and facilities.
He urged the National Assembly to amend the 1999 Constitution to encourage the payment of 13 per cent derivation funds into a trust fund that would be managed by a board.
Aginighan suggested that members of such board should be drawn from the oil producing communities, adding that appointment to the board should be done by the country’s President.
The former NDDC director also suggested that the Electoral Act should be amended in order to strengthen the country’s democratic system.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)