Managing Director, NDIC, Alhaji Umaru Ibrahim
The Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation has said that it paid a cumulative insured deposit of N6.682bn to depositors of 48 banks in liquidation as at August 2012.
The Managing Director, NDIC, Mr. Umaru Ibrahim, said the amount was against the N6.636bn paid to 527,942 depositors in December 2011. He spoke in Lagos on the occasion of the corporation’s Special Day at the 2012 Lagos International Trade Fair.
Ibrahim, who was represented by the Director of Asset Management Department, NDIC, Mr. Olarewaju Sulaiman, said a cumulative dividend of N77.384bn had also been paid to depositors, whose claims were in excess of the insured amount in the 48 banks as at August. This figure, he said, was against N73.553bn paid to depositors for the same period last year.
He said, “It is instructive for me to say that the NDIC has been resolutely committed to its mandate since it commenced operations in the last two decades. We have also contributed immensely to the various banking reforms that had been witnessed in the Nigerian banking sector and the dynamics of the global financial market.”
Ibrahim stated that N2.45bn had been paid to depositors of the 103 microfinance banks that had ceased to operate as at August 31, 2012. This was against the sum of N2.25bn paid to the insured depositors of the closed MFBs as at the end of December last year.
The theme of the fair was, “Promoting Trade for Sustainable Economic Transformation.”
He said the theme bore eloquent testimony to the posture of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry, as a key player and organiser of the fair, in the quest for the realisation of Nigeria’s Vision 2020 and the transformation agenda of the Federal Government.
The NDIC boss said the corporation had a crucial role to play towards the safety, soundness and stability of the financial system.
According to him, the key mandate of the corporation is to provide financial guarantee to depositors of the insured financial institutions in event of failure, with a view to enhancing public confidence in the nation’s banking system.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)