Managing Director, NDIC, Alhaji Umaru Ibrahim
The Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation has said that it paid a cumulative insured deposit of N6.682bn to depositors of 48 banks in liquidation as at August 2012.
The Managing Director, NDIC, Mr. Umaru Ibrahim, said the amount was against the N6.636bn paid to 527,942 depositors in December 2011. He spoke in Lagos on the occasion of the corporation’s Special Day at the 2012 Lagos International Trade Fair.
Ibrahim, who was represented by the Director of Asset Management Department, NDIC, Mr. Olarewaju Sulaiman, said a cumulative dividend of N77.384bn had also been paid to depositors, whose claims were in excess of the insured amount in the 48 banks as at August. This figure, he said, was against N73.553bn paid to depositors for the same period last year.
He said, “It is instructive for me to say that the NDIC has been resolutely committed to its mandate since it commenced operations in the last two decades. We have also contributed immensely to the various banking reforms that had been witnessed in the Nigerian banking sector and the dynamics of the global financial market.”
Ibrahim stated that N2.45bn had been paid to depositors of the 103 microfinance banks that had ceased to operate as at August 31, 2012. This was against the sum of N2.25bn paid to the insured depositors of the closed MFBs as at the end of December last year.
The theme of the fair was, “Promoting Trade for Sustainable Economic Transformation.”
He said the theme bore eloquent testimony to the posture of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry, as a key player and organiser of the fair, in the quest for the realisation of Nigeria’s Vision 2020 and the transformation agenda of the Federal Government.
The NDIC boss said the corporation had a crucial role to play towards the safety, soundness and stability of the financial system.
According to him, the key mandate of the corporation is to provide financial guarantee to depositors of the insured financial institutions in event of failure, with a view to enhancing public confidence in the nation’s banking system.
Latest Nigeria News
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover