U.S Northeast cleans up from Superstorm Sandy, death toll rises

// News | General | U.S Northeast cleans up from Superstorm Sandy, death toll rises
Email to a friend Plain text Print version // Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

New Yorkers took to the streets on Sunday to reinforce recovery from Super-storm Sandy, volunteering to help clean up devastated neighbourhoods.

The cleanup is to use an annual Veterans Day parade to collect donations for victims still struggling without homes or electricity, Reuters reports.

Police raised the storm-related fatality toll in New York City to 43, adding the death of a 77-year-old retired custodian who was found paralysed last week at the bottom of the steps of his apartment building in Rockaway, Queens, with head injuries.

He died at a hospital on Saturday, they said.

At least 121 people have perished in the storm, which caused an estimated 50 billion dollars in property damage and economic losses and ranks as one of the most destructive natural disasters to hit the U.S Northeast.

The Rockaways peninsula of the city’s Queens borough was especially hard hit when Sandy slarmed into the East Coast on Oct. 29, unleashing a record storm surge that flooded low-lying areas and fierce winds that toppled trees and power lines.

Many residents said they felt exhausted.

Priscilla Perez, 30, was climbing up 11 flights of stairs in the dark, carrying clothes, jugs of water supplies and her one year-old daughter to an apartment at the Bay Towers in Rockaway Park.

Helping to carry the load was her 10-year-old son, Elijah, who she said is struggling with the impact of the storm.

“He doesn’t want to eat. He’s never been through anything like this. I tell him when we go to get food, ‘Take a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, take a hot dog,’ but he says no,” she said.

Recovery workers, from volunteers to firefighters, National Park Service workers and thousands of National Guard members, helped clean up in the Queens and the city’s Staten Island borough, also badly damaged, clearing mounds of garbage, sand and debris.

Medical teams went door to door to check on residents in high-rise buildings without power.

U.S Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano paid a visit on Sunday to hundreds of federal recovery workers crammed into the mess hall aboard the T.S. Kennedy, a merchant marine training ship docked on Staten Island to serve as a floating hotel for government employees taking part in the effort.

“Thank you, and thank you, and thank you,’” she told the workers, adding, “I hope you take some pride in what you’re doing.”

Throughout the Eastern seaboard, thousands of homes were destroyed or badly damaged, millions were left without power, and commerce was brought to a virtual standstill in the immediate aftermath of the storm.

The misery was compounded by an unseasonably early winter storm, or “Nor’easter” that lashed the region on Wednesday with more heavy winds, along with rain, sleet and snow.

As many as 8.6 million utility customers lost electricity at some point in the midst of the back-to-back storms.

On Sunday, nearly two weeks after Hurricane Sandy first struck, thousands were still in temporary shelters, while the tally of power outages had dwindled to about 167,000, according to the U.S. Energy Department.

New York accounted for most of the remaining outages, the bulk of them on Long Island.

In what was likely to be a great relief to hundreds of thousands of commuters struggling to get to jobs without mass transit, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie announced that some PATH trains that connect New York and New Jersey would resume service on Monday morning.

However, service at the Hoboken, Exchange Place and World Trade Centre stations was still suspended due to severe flooding and will likely remain so for several weeks, they said.

Officials also announced the limited reopening of the Governor Hugh L. Carey Tunnel, formerly known as the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, for rush-hour bus service on Monday morning.

The tunnel, which connects Brooklyn with downtown Manhattan, flooded with an estimated 162.8 million litres of water that damaged electrical, lighting, communications, surveillance and ventilation systems, authorities said.

In addition, Amtrak planned to reopen the so-called North Turbe rail tunnel under the Hudson for Amtrak passenger train and New Jersey Transit commuter service on Monday, according to a statement from U.S. Senator Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey.

He said the tunnel, which was shut down immediately following Sandy, was expected to operate at 63 per cent of normal capacity as further work continued.

Organisers of the Veterans Day parade, New York City’s first major post-Sandy event since its annual marathon race was cancelled last weekend, asked spectators lining the parade route to bring winter coats to be donated to storm victims.

The group New York Cares was hoping to collect 50,000 coats by week’s end, part of an annual drive that began two weeks earlier to help Sandy victims.

“What’s wonderful is that veterans came to us and felt in the spirit of service, that is so prevalent among folks in the armed forces, they wanted to make sure the veterans were not only being honoured today but also doing their bit to help,” said Gary Bagley, the group’s executive director.

Lingering power outages tested the patience of many residents who had been living without lights, heat or water for extended periods.

Sharp criticism was levelled in particular at the Long Island Power Authority, or LIPA, which was still trying to restore service to some 62,000 customers.

Speaking on CNN, U.S. Representative, Peter King, who represents the area, called the situation a “disgrace.”

“The LIPA has failed miserably. They are not doing a good job. It really has reached crisis proportions,” he said.

Sunday also marked the third day of gas rationing in New York City, under a system in which cars with odd- and even-numbered licence plates can fill up only on alternate days.

President Barack Obama is to visit hard-hit areas of New York City on Thursday.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a radio address that the city has distributed almost two million meals, 500,000 litres of water and more than 100,000 blankets as well as space heaters, baby supplies and flash-light batteries.

The city was also distributing underwear, winter hats, toilet paper, bleach, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste and towels.

Bloomberg said the city was sending in teams of contractors and inspectors to help hasten the process of restoring power to thousands of utility customers in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island who cannot get electricity back until equipment is repaired and tested.

In Staten Island, a fear of crime in the darkened neighbourhoods was evident in signs hanging on many houses that read “Beware of Dog” or “this home is Remington protected.”

In Queens, small cranes scooped up mounds of sand washed ashore by the storm, and firefighters used hoses to power-wash streets.

“We’re taking it one day at a time,’’ said Jim Long, a fire-fighter whose home suffered water damage.

“The water table is pretty high. You clean out some water and come back the next day and there’s more water.”

Tagged : No tags for this article

Headlines Newsview all

Return N13.4b Taken Illegally - APC Tells Muazu Babangida Aliyu

The All Progressives Congress in Niger State on Sunday said it will only consider the apology by the state Governor, Dr. Muazu Babangida Aliyu, as ... Full story

Couple Stabs 10 Year Old In The Private Part

A 10-year-old girl, Chidinma, has been admitted at an undisclosed hospital after a couple – Eucheria Chukwuma and Jerry Oko-Oboh – allegedly beat her up ... Full story

Emma Nyra Opens Up On All Dating Rumours Video

Several rumours have been sprouting all around the internet about female artist, Emma Nyra and she is definitely not okay with them. So in her ... Full story

Exposed: Oritsefemi’s Instagram Account Hacked

Oritsefemi might be a victim of social media hacking after a certain ‘someone’ gained access into his Instagram account and leaked his DMs in the ... Full story

Xenophobic Attack: Brutal Death Of Emmanuel Sithole In South Africa

A shocking report by Timeslive.co.za depicting the evils of the xenophobic attacks currently going on in South Africa, where locals are killing Africans staying in ... Full story

Xenophobia: Zimbabwean Woman Beheaded

A Zimbabwean woman, Mrs Naume Garusa (41) featured image above, has become the latest victim of horrific xenophobic attacks after her body was found with ... Full story

Ishawo Traditional Ruler's Son Arrested For Armed Robbery

The police in Lagos have apprehended a gang of armed robbers that specialises in snatching motorcycles and money from riders at gunpoint. According to the police, ... Full story

Shocking: Teenager Delivers Baby Boy After Having S3x With Snake

IT sounds unbelievable, but from the account of 19-year-old Kehinde Adegoke, it really happened. The teenager who is an indigene of Ogbomoso in Oyo State, ... Full story

South African Woman Gives Reasons For Killing Foreigners, Especially Nigerians

An elderly woman from ‪South Africa explains why they want the foreigners especially NIGERIANS out of the area...WATCH THE SHOCKING VIDEO ...

President Jonathan orders ₦2 Trillion election funds refunded

Following the defeat suffered by President Goodluck Jonathan and his party, the Peoples Democratic Party, during the March 28 and April 11 elections, the President ...

I Nearly Died With Clem Onyeka - Nzube Onyia

Actress, Nzube Onyia, is one hell of a lucky gal! She was riding with late actor, Clem Onyeka, that fateful day last year in Asaba, ... Full story

Comment on: U.S Northeast cleans up from Superstorm Sandy, death toll rises

Rate this article

0

Breaking News

South African Rapper AKA, Expecting New Baby From Girlfriend

Now this got me wondering, if it were all planned by African celebrities, on having babies in this same period…..lol!!! well perhaps i guess they ... Full story

Egypt Court Sentences 11 Fans To Death

An Egyptian court has sentenced 11 soccer fans to death in the retrial of over 70 defendants accused in a soccer riot in 2012 that ... Full story

Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Loses N21m

Nigerian Consul-General in South Africa, Amb. Uche Ajulu-Okeke, said on Sunday that Nigerians lost more than N21m Rand (1.2m) in the on-going xenophobic attacks in ... Full story

Im Not A Sugar Mama- Gloria Ibru

While some see Gloria Ibru as a controversial musician, others still respect her endearing charisma. She has been in the entertainment industry for over 28 years ...

How Contestant Challenged Dare Art Alade

Imagine the confidence of an aspiring female contestant on a music reality television show to have 'called out' one of the male judges in her ...

Senator Uche Chukwumerije Passes On

Former Information Minister and Senator representing Abia North Senatorial District, Uche Chukwumerije, has passed on. This was disclosed in a statement by his first son, Chidi ...

John Okafor 'Mr. Ibu' Bereaved

Certainly this is not the best of the moments for popular, Nollywood star, John Okafor (aka Mr. Ibu). The reason for his sad mood is not ...

I have a N12m wristwatch — Cynthia Morgan

My name is Cynthia Morgan and I am 23 years old. I am a musician and I was raised by a single mother, Sherifat Morgan ...

I Feel Threatened By MI, Ice Prince- Jesse Jagz

To the utmost surprise of his fans, multi-talented artiste, Jesse Abaga aka Jesse Jagz, returned to his former label, Chocolate City, after a three-year hiatus. Although ...

David-West to Okonjo-Iweala: Buhari doesn’t need your advice

A former Minister of Petroleum, Prof. Tam David-West, has replied the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, over her ...