Lagos State Commisioner for Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello
| credits: shugaband.blogspot.com
The Lagos State Government is to develop 1,000 low-cost houses at Ijora/Badia, in the Apapa/Iganmu Local Council Development Area, to replace the shanties recently demolished in the area by the state government.
The Commissioner for the Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Monday in Lagos.
The state government had recently demolished shanties at Ijora/Badia, leading to the displacement of over 60,000 persons in the area.
Bello explained that the proposed housing project would alleviate the plight of residents of the area who lost their homes and properties in the demolition.
He said the shanties were not legitimate houses for which the owners could be paid compensation by the state government.
“If they are legitimate houses or appropriately approved buildings that people were living in, the government would normally pay compensation, but when you have shanties all over the place and they are cleared, there is usually no compensation.
“The Ministry of Housing has a beautiful plan for the area. The state government is planning to build over 1,000 houses around there and work will soon commence on the project,” he said.
The commissioner said the houses would be affordable and be placed under a mortgage scheme.
“The houses are for the poor and anybody who is not poor can access them. It is going to be under a mortgage system. It is not a thing that you must have much money before you can buy.
“All the estates that the Lagos State Government has developed, we are putting together under a mortgage scheme, for people to be able to access them. What we are doing is to give the people the opportunity to own their own houses, even with the little money they have.
“The payment system will be stretched out for the convenience of the buyers, for the next 20 to 25 years,’’ he said.
Bello urged Lagos residents to take advantage of such opportunities to help the urban renewal initiatives of the state government to reduce shanties in the metropolis.
More Stories in Lagos Pulse
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)