The West African Examination Council has described as false claims by some Internet fraudsters that questions posted on its website are those meant for the ongoing West African Senior School Certificate Examination.
Some scammers had posted supposedly live questions of the May/June 2013 WASSCE on the examination body’s website and urged interested candidates to buy recharge cards to access the questions.
But in a statement signed by its Deputy Director, Public Affairs, Mr. Yusuf Ari, the examination body stated that the claim was false.
It warned candidates against depending on fraudsters to pass examination.
“The attention of WAEC has been drawn to the current scam on Facebook and on some rogue websites whereby gullible persons, particularly candidates sitting for the on going May/June 2013 WASSCE, are lured into believing that they could obtain authentic question papers or answers for the examination in advance.
“Such scams are not new to the council as, over the years, old or fake examination question papers are usually circulated and sold by fraudsters, as authentic current ones, at ridiculous or give away prices,” he noted.
He stated that since WAEC first got wind of the current “digital” or Internet form of scam in 2011, the body had informed security agencies about the “rogue websites.”
“Since then, the Council has endeavoured to routinely carry out investigations into these claims and wishes to state categorically that the claims that authentic question papers or answers for its examinations can be procured in advance are completely false.
“All efforts to procure question papers or answers online, as promised in the current postings on Facebook failed. All efforts to purchase Government question paper scheduled to be written on Monday, April 22, a day to the examination, using GSM scratch cards as demanded, failed.
WAEC, therefore, advised the general public, particularly candidates in the on going examination, their parents and guardians, to be wary of these scams whether via the Internet or elsewhere.
More Stories in Education
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well