The State Criminal Investigation Department, Lagos State Police Command, has arrested a 27-year-old man, Lekan Adelaja, for allegedly cutting off the penis of his one-year-old nephew, Basheeru Akintoye.
The police also arrested one Obinwanne Onukwo who was accused of sending Adelaja to carry out the dastardly act.
It was reported by Punch newspaper last week that Basheeru’s penis was cut off when his 20-year-old mother, Abidemi, went to a nearby house to have sex with one Fatai who was a friend to her husband.
It was reported that the police subsequently arrested Fatai for the alleged crime, while Abidemi was arrested for her negligence.
The baby was said to have been rushed to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba.
Our correspondent, however, learnt that the police arrested the prime suspect and also recovered the penis.
The penis, it was learnt, had already decayed.
A source said, “We knew that Fatai and Abidemi were not the ones that cut off the penis so we continued to investigate the matter. We clearly established that the crime was an insider job and we began questioning all those that were in the compound at the time.
“After interrogation, Adelaja confessed that he was the one that cut off the penis. He said one Obinwanne Onukwo promised to pay him N30, 000 for the penis. We believe they wanted to use the penis for ritual purpose.”
Onukwo, however, denied sending Adelaja to cut bring him a penis.
He said if he was the one that sent Adelaja to cut off the baby’s penis, why did he (Adelaja) hold onto it for over a week after cutting it off?
Our correspondent learnt that Fatai and Abidemi had been released by the police.
The baby’s father, Ibrahim, told our source that he had spent all he had on medical bills in a bid to save his son’s life.
He said Basheeru would undergo a surgery on Friday.
“From the day the incident occurred, I have been spending money. I am just a security guard and I don’t earn much, but I am determined to ensure that my son does not die,” he said.
Asked how he felt when he discovered that it was his cousin that cut off Basheeru’s penis, he said, “He (Adelaja) is my cousin. We don’t live in the same house, but we live in the same compound. He is not completely stable mentally, but he is not the violent type.
“My son has suffered too much in the hands of people who should protect him.”
When our correspondent visited the children’s ward on Wednesday, Basheeru was seen playing with his parents.
It was also observed that a pipe had been attached to the baby’s private part to enable him to urinate.
A doctor, who spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, said there was no guarantee that the baby would regain full use of his penis.
She said, “Basheeru’s case is that of penile amputation. If the penis had been found on time, we could have reattached it but it is too late now as it has decayed. We will, however, do our best to ensure that he regains the use of the penis.
“He is still young and we are hoping that after a reconstructive surgery, the penis would work again and he would be able to reproduce.”
Police Public Relations Officer, Ngozi Braide, said the suspect would be charged to court this week.
Culled from Punch
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well