The Nigerian Army has confirmed the death of 22 people in the latest bomb attack in Ummarari village near Maiduguri, Borno. The Director of Army Public Relations (DAPR), Col. Sani Usman, in a statement issued in Abuja on Wednesday, said the attack was carried out by two female suicide bombers.
According to Usman, the first attack targeted a mosque, while the second blast occurred about 50 metres away, a few minutes later. He said that 22 people were killed and 18 others sustained various degrees of injury.
Usman said troops, other security agents and care givers had been mobilised to the scene, while the wounded had been evacuated to Molai General Hospital for treatment. He said security agents and the Civilian JTF had secured the area and were combing the environment for possible clues.
The Army spokesman while commiserating with the families of the victims, reassured the public that the military would continue to rout the remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists wherever they were hiding.
“We will not rest on our oars until all those that masterminded this latest heinous and other similar crimes are apprehended and brought to justice,” he added. Usman implored members of the public to be more security conscious, cooperate with the troops and security agencies. “They should also please report any suspicious persons, objects or happenings to troops or security agencies at all times,” he said. (NAN)
About Article Author