3 reasons I won't attend south east governors' meeting - Nnamdi Kanu reveals in first statement since military siege
- The leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) Nnamdi Kanu has said he would not attend Friday, September 15, meeting with southeast governors
- Kanu said he has been reliably informed that some soldiers have being stationed along Enugu Expressway to assassinate him
- He also said he will be busy attending to funeral of some of the members of the IPOB killed by the military
The leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) Nnamdi Kanu has finally released a statement since the Tuesday, September 12, siege laid at his residence by troops of the Nigerian military.
Kanu in a statement personally signed by him said prominent leaders and group have before now urged him to tow the line of peaceful dialogue with governors from the south eastern region of the country.
He said he already conceded to the request from the prominent leaders which led to the August 30, meeting with governor of the South East Governors' Forum at the Government House in Enugu.
He said, however, in view of the effort of the federal government through the military to oppress him and members of the group especially on the ongoing peaceful dialogue with the governors, he will not be attending this Friday's meeting with the forum.
READ ALSO: More trouble for Nnamdi Kanu as military aircraft allegedly hovers over IPOB leader’s house (video)
Giving reasons for his decision, Kanu said he will be busy attending funerals of members of the IPOB allegedly killed by military operatives.
He also said he has been reliably informed that some soldiers have being stationed along Enugu Expressway to assassinate him.
Kanu however commended the steadfast and total commitment of all members of the IPOB while assuring the group that he remains resolute in his agitation for the freedom of Biafra.
Kanu's statement reads: "Before now, prominent leaders and groups had insisted that I tow the line of peaceful dialogue and meet with the governors to find a lasting solution to our grievances.
"I conceded to that request which led to the 30th of August 2017 meeting with the South-East Governors Forum at the Government House in Enugu, in the company of the very eminent Prof. Ben Nwabueze and Evangelist Elliott Ugochukwu-Ukoh.
"In view of the concerted effort by the oppressive Nigerian state to shatter the peace and tranquility of the South-East and the rest of Biafraland through military intimidation, it has become necessary for me to clarify why, regrettably, I may not be able to attend Friday's meeting with the South-East governors as earlier agreed, for three main reasons.
READ ALSO: Nnamdi Kanu holds dual citizenship and will escape to the UK - Southeast group cries out
1.) We are currently busy attending to our dead and injured from this latest round of unprovoked military onslaught against innocent civilians in our own land. All the casualties so far were shot by men of the Nigerian Army deployed to my house and those stationed along motor ways leading into Umuahia my hometown.
2.) I have been reliably informed also, that a detachment of this same soldiers responsible for the murder of innocent unarmed IPOB family members have now been stationed near Enugu to ambush and assassinate me on my way to the meeting with the governors on Friday.
3.) On that same Friday the 15th of September 2017, the leadership of IPOB through the instrumentality of the Directorate of State (DOS) headquartered in Germany, will be meeting to vote on the viability or otherwise of continuing our struggle in this non-violent manner. There is urgent need to begin the process of defending ourselves in the face of relentless murderous attacks from the Nigerian state.
"It is impossible to engage in any meaningful conversation with the governors in the midst of so much bloodshed, abductions and military siege of our town and villages.
"Accordingly, we will not engage in any meeting with anybody until the atmosphere is conducive and peaceful enough to allow for such.
READ ALSO: Happening now: Northern governors and traditional rulers hold meeting on restructuring
"The siren-blaring military convoys and armoured vehicles occupying the entire region is not only designed to intimidate our people but also deliberately primed to scuttle the IPOB/South-East governors meeting of Friday 15th September.
"I would like to use this opportunity to thank all men and women of good conscience from all over the world that have risen to condemn the barbaric slaughter of innocent Biafrans by the Nigerian military.
"Above all, I salute the steadfastness, devotion and total commitment to freedom from eternal slavery by the great IPOB family in Biafraland.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
"I assure you that I remain resolute and dedicated to our shared vision of freedom regardless of the cost and visionless antics of the mindless oppressor.
"We have since crossed the Red Sea and arrived at the shores of the promised land. We have our trumpets ready to begin the great march around the evil walls of Jericho, and I assure you that in no distant time, the walls of Jericho will come crashing down.
"We can still hear the cries of Pharaoh and his horsemen as they are swallowed up by the Red Sea, chariots and all. Victory is ours! Victory is assured!!
"Collaborators and agents of the oppressor are hereby advised to embark on self exile as there will be no hiding place for them."
NAIJ.com earlier reported that the IPOB leader alleged that President Muhamamdu Buhari was behind the siege laid on his residence by troops of the Nigerian military.
Kanu also accused the president of plotting to assassinate him.
He alleged that some soldiers fired live ammunition at his vehicle including his convoy on his way to an official assignment.
You can watch this NAIJ.com TV video below of Kanu's lawyer talking about the military invasion of his house:[embedded content]
About Article Author