HASSAN HUKA | Nation Kenya Wildlife Service officers inspect some of the 81 tusks recovered from a saloon car along the Isiolo-Meru highway on Friday night.Â
Three suspected poachers have been arrested and 81 elephant tusks worth Sh2.5 million recovered by Kenya Wildlife Service officers following a crackdown on illegal wildlife trade.
The suspects were found in possession of the trophies in their saloon car as they headed to Meru town after picking the consignment from a house in Nthugi village, along the Isiolo-Meru highway on Friday night.
The officers had been tracking the traders for more than two months, according to a KWS intelligence officer who declined to be named as he was not authorised to speak to the press.
They also recovered two rhino horns, 6 rounds of ammunition, two night-vision binoculars, two rangersâ€™ uniforms and a rifle scope.
The three who were caught are suspected to belong to a gang of poachers operating in the northern tourism circuit, which includes Mt Kenya Forest, and Isiolo, Meru and Laikipia districts.
According to KWS deputy district warden Maureen Musibu, 41 elephants in the circuit have been killed by poachers over the last several months.
â€œWe lost 20 rhinos across the country but in this region (northern circuit), poachers killed nine over the past year, but we had a breakthrough yesterday and managed to recover the consignment,â€ added Laikipia senior warden Aggrey Muamo, who was among the intelligence officers tracking the suspects.
Because of the huge haul impounded, the officers had to ask for assistance from wardens in the Aberdare and Meru national parks to cart the tusks away.
The suspects had state-of-the-art technology, including binoculars with powerful night-vision capabilities to enable hunting at night. They also had a rifle scope, which is mounted on a rifle to enable a hunter to aim at a target with precision.
Digital weighing machines and poisoned arrows, used to kill wildlife without alerting wardens on patrol or scaring away other animals, were also recovered from the car.
One of the suspects, believed to be the leader of the gang operating in the region, has a case pending before the Kibera law courts on charges of poaching, according to Buuri DO Michael Kibet.
â€œWildlife is this countryâ€™s heritage and the government will not allow a few individuals to reap from where they did not sow,â€ Mr Kibet said.
The maximum sentence one can be given for killing endangered animals is a Sh40,000 fine or four years in jail.
Add a comment (0 comments so far)
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)