Attackers threw dynamite into a guesthouse in the southern Nigerian oil city of Yenagoa on Tuesday owned by an opposition candidate in upcoming parliamentary elections, but nobody was seriously injured.
The attack happened at a hostel owned by Peremobowei Ebebi, a former deputy state governor and member of the opposition Labour Party who is standing for a Senate seat in parliamentary elections set for Saturday.
“I was out at the restaurant when I heard an explosion. I ran to check and found that dynamite had been thrown through the fence,” guesthouse manager Bail Timi told Reuters.
A Reuters correspondent said windows were shattered and walls cracked by the explosion but there was no major structural damage to the three-storey building. Security forces cordoned off streets in the area.
The attack underscores the risks in the restive oil-producing Niger Delta during parliamentary, presidential and state governorship polls being held across Africa’s most populous nation this month.
Bayelsa state, of which Yenagoa is the capital, has already seen bombs and shootings at political rallies in recent months.
The state governorship race is particularly fierce, with incumbent Timipre Sylva, from the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP), facing a challenge from former presidential adviser Timi Alaibe of the Labour Party.
In January, gunmen killed several of Alaibe’s supporters at his home while the Labour Party office in Yenagoa was bombed after the state governorship primaries a week later.
Ebebi himself is a controversial figure. He was once Sylva’s deputy but the two fell out and became locked in a bitter and sometimes violent power struggle before Ebebi was impeached over allegations of corruption last year.
Gunmen in speedboats attacked Ebebi’s home last July, while the same guesthouse that was firebombed on Tuesday was also hit by a car bomb last May.
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well