BY CHIOMA OBINNA & Charlyne IKPE
It doesn’t take much more than common sense to realise that what you put into your body is going to have an impact on how your body looks and feels.
It pays to look young and supple by paying attention to what types of foods you are putting into your body.
The following foods are essential for good skin.
The number one ingredient for great-looking skin is water. The more water you drink, the more you flush all of the other stuff out of your body and the healthier your skin is going to look.
When you are not drinking water, you should be drinking green tea. It has many, many different health benefits including benefits for the skin. You can drink it cold or warm. Avoid adding sugar or milk to it if you want the best benefits for your skin.
This food is rich in anti-oxidants and so has great skin-boosting benefits.
Strawberries, blueberries and blackberries are all berries that are also rich in antioxidants. Eat them alone, toss them in cereal or add them to the sides of other dishes to increase the healthiness of your skin all throughout the day.
This is a vegetable alternative to the cantaloupe and tomato options that you may want to try to get those free radicals flowing healthfully throughout your body and fighting off skin problems.
If you want to get your Vitamin A, then you may want to turn to carrots to improve your skin with this vitamin.
Omega3 is that “good fat” that we are always trying to get even though we try to avoid the “bad fat”. One of the things that the Omega3 fats do is ward off any kind of inflammation. This means they are good for the skin. You can find these in many different fish dishes including tuna, shellfish, sardines and salmon.
These are yet another option that you can choose in addition to flax seeds or fish dishes if you want to improve your skin with those essential fatty acids.
This food is really rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C is great for people concerned about skin problems because it delays or reduces wrinkles.
Just like with grapefruits, these are great for the skin because they are so rich in Vitamin C.
Another ingredient in some foods that is really good for your skin is selenium. This is found in whole wheat cereals, breads and baked goods. This improves the skin at a cellular level and keeps you looking young and beautiful.
Lean red meat
Some people have poor skin because they don’t have enough iron in their diets. If you are concerned that you’re too pale or you have dark circles under your eyes then you may need more iron. Red meat is great sources for that but make sure that you’re not eating any red meat that is too high in fat.
Eggs are a good iron-providing alternative for people who don’t want to eat much red meat.
Adding these foods to your diet should go a long way towards improving the healthfulness of your skin. However, it’s just as important to cut out foods from your diet as it is to add foods if you do want healthy skin. Make sure that you reduce your intake of caffeine, bad fats, salt, sugar, etc. to maximize the healthy benefits that your skin is getting from the intake of these other good foods!
Your skin is you, respect and protect it
Undoubtedly, to keep your skin as healthy as possible,
you need to nourish your skin. But are you getting enough of the right nutrients from the foods you eat? Could you benefit from taking a supplement or trying an antioxidant-packed lotion?
A Dermatologist, Doris Day and also the author of Forget the Facelift, says the beauty of the skin is that you can affect it from both inside and out. For Day, your skin is you and there is need for you to respect it. Again, what you eat also matters. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants is good for your whole body, including your skin.
Antioxidants such as beta-carotene and vitamins C, E, and A can curb the damage caused by unstable molecules known as free radicals. These molecules can harm skin cells and cause signs of aging. Although, one of the best ways to get more antioxidants is to eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables but the ideal way to get the nutrients you need for a radiant complexion is eating a healthy, balanced diet. With the current harsh economy, nutritionists recommend taking an over-the-counter daily multivitamin with minerals to boost nutrient intake if an individual is not eating a balanced diet.
Paying attention to your skin’s overall health is also important as it is to eat a healthy diet, your skin also needs you to not smoke, get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and drink enough water.
No matter what you eat, be sure to wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 every day.
To get results, give it time. It may take three months to a year to really see an improvement in your skin. Go with what is tried and true and give it a solid chance to work.
Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)