By Sola Ogundipe
A new study suggests that fast-food breakfast sandwich has an
immediate negative effect on blood vessels. According to HealthDay,the research is preliminary and doesn’t compare the effect of eating a couple of fast-food breakfast sandwiches to a healthier choice such as yogurt and a banana.
Still, the study hints at the dangers of unhealthy food, said co-author Dr. Todd Anderson, director of the University of Calgary’s Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta.
“Even one episode of eating something unhealthy can have an effect,”he said, “and cumulatively, that can have an effect. Think before you eat.”
The purpose of the study was to examine what happens in the blood
vessels after someone eats a high-fat, high-salt meal.
The researchers recruited 20 healthy people, with an average age of 23, to undergo tests that measure how efficiently blood travels through the vessels in their forearms. Some students fasted while others ate two fast-food breakfast sandwiches, and then the groups switched.
Anderson declined to identify the brand of breakfast sandwich because, he said, its identity shouldn’t be a focus of the attention given to the research. However, he did say it’s a ham, cheese and egg sandwich — with 25 grams of fat and 450 calories — that “you could buy anyplace in America or Canada.”
Compared to the participants who hadn’t eaten recently, the blood
vessels of those who ate two breakfast sandwiches worked less efficiently two hours after the meal, Anderson said. “There was a decrease in the ability of the small vessels of the forearm to dilate and generate blood flow,” he explained.
This dilation — widening of the vessels — helps the blood get more oxygen to the body when you exercise. Other research has suggested that disruptions in this process over time make people more susceptible to develop strokes and heart attacks, Anderson said.
The study didn’t examine what would happen if someone ate a healthy meal. Anderson said previous research suggests healthy food wouldn’thave had a negative effect.
It’s also not clear what would happen if people ate this kind of food continuously, nor what different kinds of fast food (say, a hamburger and fries) would do to the blood vessels.
Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)