The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC on Monday, November12, 2012, arraigned Pastor Henry Uhunmwagho, 33, before Justice P.I. Ajoku of the Federal High Court 2 sitting in Benin City, Edo State on a nine count charge bordering on obtaining money under false pretence.
Count number one of the charges read: “that you Henry Uhunmwagho on or about the 13th day of August, 2010 in Benin within the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court did with intent to defraud obtained the sum of N300, 000 (Three Hundred Thousand Naira) from one Odion Princewill C. under the pretence that you were going to procure a United States of America Visa for him which you knew was false and thereby committed an offence contrary to section 1(1) (a) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act of 2006 and punishable under section 1(3) of the same Act”.
Henry, a pastor with Church of God Mission, Suleja, Niger State, was arrested by the EFCC on the 11th May, 2012, following a petition by Godwin Ochai, a legal practitioner, on behalf of one Mr. Odom Princewill.
He was alleged to have collected the sum of One Million, Four Hundred and Thirty Six Thousand Naira (N1, 436,000) under false pretence to process a United States of American Visa for the petitioner but failed to do so.
Though he pleaded not guilty when the charges were read to him in court, the accused had admitted in his statement to the EFCC that he collected the alleged money from the petitioner and gave it to one Eze Chucks ( now at large), to process the visa but failed to do so.
Princewill, in his petition against Henry, alleged that sometimes in 2010, he was introduced to the accused, by Rev. Uzor Onyekwere of the Church of God Mission, Benin. The petitioner alleged that the suspect claimed to know an in-law to the then Nigerian Ambassador to Canada and promised to help him secure a two-year visa to United States of America.
“I paid a total sum of one million, four hundred and thirty six thousand naira (N1, 436, 000) into Mr Henry’s Diamond Bank account, but the visa was not processed. At a point, he asked me to go to the Abuja International Airport and wait for the personal assistant to the Nigerian Ambassador to Canada whom I will be travelling with, but I did not see anybody when I got there. I tried to call Henry, but his phone was switched off,” Princewill said
The defence counsel, Pius Ezeh moved the oral application for bail but was opposed by the prosecution counsel, Chioma Okongwu. Justice Ajoku in her ruling said the defence counsel did not present anything before the court to show why the accused should be granted bail.
She adjourned the matter to 29th November, 2012 for hearing on the bail application and ordered that the accused be remanded in prison custody.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)