Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has claimed his side are still contenders to win this season's Premier League title - even after falling a massive 11 points behind leaders Manchester United after Saturday's 3-3 home draw against Fulham.
GettyImagesArsene Wenger says Arsenal can still win the league
After a series of setbacks in recent weeks, Wenger's suggestion that his developing side are capable of lunching a push for the biggest prize in English football from their current position of eighth place in the Premier League will doubtless result in plenty of ridicule and assucations that the veteran Arsenal boss is suffering from delusion.
Yet his optimism remains intact despite a run that has seen the Gunners collect just one win in their last four league games, with their creaking defence conceding 14 goals in their last four fixtures alone.
When asked whether his side could emerge as shock title challengers in the second half of the season, Wenger's response was unequivocal. "Of course, yes why not," retorted Wenger, clearly bemused that his questioner would question his team's title winning abilities.
"We had come through three difficult games, especially the first two," he stated, referring to the resounding 2-1 defeat against Manchester United and the 2-2 Champions League draw against Schalke. "We had to recover from the United game and then we gave it all in Germany.
"All of us were disappointed not to beat Fulham because we had the chances to do that and in the end we were frustrated, but there were many positives to take from the game. Our performances are not as big a disaster as some people like to portray them and I still have great belief in this team."
The improved performance of striker Olivier Giroud was the most notable plus point for Wenger after his summer signings scored twice against Fulham on Saturday, leaving the French striker to conclude he is getting to grips with life in the Premier League.
"I feel better and better," Giroud told the Arsenal website "I'm confident about my qualities and I never give up. When I didn't score at the beginning of the season, I stayed confident and always worked on my mind and my game. I think there is a lot of quality in this team and we will have better days in front of us."
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)