Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert believes that his players can take positives from Saturday's defeat to Manchester United, despite surrendering a two-goal lead.
GettyImagesPaul Lambert believe his youngsters will gain valuable experience from Sunday's loss to Manchester United
• Blog: Villa need time
An Andreas Weimann double put Villa in line for an upset against the Premier League leaders, but they conceded three second-half goals to drop all three points.
Lambert sees the strong start to the match as an indication that his side can challenge any team in the league.
"I'm proud of them, what they've done," he said. "It's a young team growing up and they'll take a bit of belief from that [game against United]. The experience will make them better and Manchester United have come back like that against many an established and experienced team.
"People thought United would come here and roll over us pretty easily but we gave it a right good go and I've told them 'you've got nothing to be down about'. I think we have been playing well for the last few weeks and we can take a lot of belief from that performance.
"The young lads will make mistakes like everybody else but if they keep showing that enthusiasm and that hunger for the game, then they and the club will be fine.
"The players can take great confidence from leading against Manchester United. It will make them grow a bit. You can see they are a young side but you wouldn't have thought that the way they played. They played with a lot of maturity, a lot of discipline in their game and I can't fault them for the way they went about it."
Villa's youngsters were largely culpable for United's comeback, but they also offered a lot of promise in attack and Lambert was quick to praise 21-year-old Christian Benteke.
"I think he's not just a strong player, his technique is terrific and for someone who is just 21 he can be anything he wants," Lambert said. "Christian keeps going. He's a brilliant guy as well. His character is terrific but my God, he's a proper number nine. He did give the United centre-halves a run for their money."
Information from the Press Association was used in this report.
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well