Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert believes that his players can take positives from Saturday's defeat to Manchester United, despite surrendering a two-goal lead.
GettyImagesPaul Lambert believe his youngsters will gain valuable experience from Sunday's loss to Manchester United
• Blog: Villa need time
An Andreas Weimann double put Villa in line for an upset against the Premier League leaders, but they conceded three second-half goals to drop all three points.
Lambert sees the strong start to the match as an indication that his side can challenge any team in the league.
"I'm proud of them, what they've done," he said. "It's a young team growing up and they'll take a bit of belief from that [game against United]. The experience will make them better and Manchester United have come back like that against many an established and experienced team.
"People thought United would come here and roll over us pretty easily but we gave it a right good go and I've told them 'you've got nothing to be down about'. I think we have been playing well for the last few weeks and we can take a lot of belief from that performance.
"The young lads will make mistakes like everybody else but if they keep showing that enthusiasm and that hunger for the game, then they and the club will be fine.
"The players can take great confidence from leading against Manchester United. It will make them grow a bit. You can see they are a young side but you wouldn't have thought that the way they played. They played with a lot of maturity, a lot of discipline in their game and I can't fault them for the way they went about it."
Villa's youngsters were largely culpable for United's comeback, but they also offered a lot of promise in attack and Lambert was quick to praise 21-year-old Christian Benteke.
"I think he's not just a strong player, his technique is terrific and for someone who is just 21 he can be anything he wants," Lambert said. "Christian keeps going. He's a brilliant guy as well. His character is terrific but my God, he's a proper number nine. He did give the United centre-halves a run for their money."
Information from the Press Association was used in this report.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)