Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert believes that his players can take positives from Saturday's defeat to Manchester United, despite surrendering a two-goal lead.
GettyImagesPaul Lambert believe his youngsters will gain valuable experience from Sunday's loss to Manchester United
• Blog: Villa need time
An Andreas Weimann double put Villa in line for an upset against the Premier League leaders, but they conceded three second-half goals to drop all three points.
Lambert sees the strong start to the match as an indication that his side can challenge any team in the league.
"I'm proud of them, what they've done," he said. "It's a young team growing up and they'll take a bit of belief from that [game against United]. The experience will make them better and Manchester United have come back like that against many an established and experienced team.
"People thought United would come here and roll over us pretty easily but we gave it a right good go and I've told them 'you've got nothing to be down about'. I think we have been playing well for the last few weeks and we can take a lot of belief from that performance.
"The young lads will make mistakes like everybody else but if they keep showing that enthusiasm and that hunger for the game, then they and the club will be fine.
"The players can take great confidence from leading against Manchester United. It will make them grow a bit. You can see they are a young side but you wouldn't have thought that the way they played. They played with a lot of maturity, a lot of discipline in their game and I can't fault them for the way they went about it."
Villa's youngsters were largely culpable for United's comeback, but they also offered a lot of promise in attack and Lambert was quick to praise 21-year-old Christian Benteke.
"I think he's not just a strong player, his technique is terrific and for someone who is just 21 he can be anything he wants," Lambert said. "Christian keeps going. He's a brilliant guy as well. His character is terrific but my God, he's a proper number nine. He did give the United centre-halves a run for their money."
Information from the Press Association was used in this report.
Latest Nigeria News
- Pastor Enoch Adeboye Finally Speaks On Slain Abuja Preacher
- See What Man Did To His Teenage Daughter After Catching Her In Bed With Lover (video)
- July 29, 1966: 7 Things You Should Know About The Second Military Coup in Nigeria
- Budget Padding Scandalous, Rubbishes Buhari?s Anti-Graft Crusade Says Afenifere
- 35 FRSC Crushed To Death By Drivers, 1 Loses Manhood
- Man Stoned And Burnt To Death For Stealing 3 Month Old Baby
- Stephen Keshi?s Burial Rites Commence Today
- Dogara Fights Back : Jibrin Smuggled Fake Projects Into The Budget
- Panic In Owerri Over Bombing Threat, Security Beefed Up
- I Have Not Been Paid For 5 Months Says Siasia
- Nnamdi Kanu: Biafra Restoration Not Personal Decision But Call From God Almighty
- Buhari Spits Fire: This Is What I Will Do To Corrupt APC Members
- NSCDC Rescues 9 Year Old Boy Chained For 2 Weeks Without Food In Celestial Church
- Breaking: Buhari?s Minister Reveals How Much His Government SavesMonthly
- Troops Nab Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists PMS Suppliers
- Nigerian Navy Arrests Niger Delta Avengers? Major Logistics Supplier
- Buhari Says Nigerians Still Love Him? See Fresh Poll Shows PMB?s Real Popularity
- Another Top Supplier To ND Avengers Arrested
- Bishop In Police Net For Allegedly Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers
- What This Boko Haram Member Was Caught Doing Will Shock You (photos)
- Bola Ige: This Is What President Buhari Told IGP To Do Immediately
- Pilot Tells EFCC: How I Transported Over N1.219bn To Fayose On An Aircraft
- EFCC Interrogates Doyin Okupe Over N162m Illicit Payment
- My Boyfriend Refused To Use Condom: Police Arrests Lovers Fighting Over S3x
- Revelations : I Drove The Bribe Money To Fayose?s Hotel Says Driver
- Fear Of Buhari: Senate Makes Very Crucial Statement
- Reuben Abati: Theresa May, Melaye and the Leader?s Wife
- How Bullion van Driver Delivered N1.2bn To Fayose?s Hotel
- 2 soldiers Killed, 7 injured in Boko Haram ambush
- PENGASSAN, NUPENG call off strike
- IPMAN urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Pipeline Bombings: Militant Group Announces 2 Week Ceasefire
- IPMAN Urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Many Feared Dead As Communal Clash Resurfaces In Benue Coomunity
- Student Stabs Landlord To Death, You Wont Believe What He Did Next
- Sen. Ben Murray-Bruce Hangs Out With His Lookalike Son, Cody (Video)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Gov. Ugwuanyi And Ogun Speaker Urge Muslims Faithful To Promote Peace And Unity
- Oduah Has No Female Domestic Staff
- Brent Oil Falls Below $50 As Nigeria Ups Production
- Breaking: Niger Delta Avengers Strike Again, Hit NNPC, Chevron Pipelines