Espanyol coach Mauricio Pochettino could become the first Primera Division coach to leave his job this season, with a decision over his future reportedly due on Monday afternoon.
GettyImagesMauricio Pochettino may pay the price for Espanyol's disappointing start to the season
Pochettino said after Saturday's embarrassing 3-0 home loss to fellow strugglers Osasuna that he would "reflect deeply on everything" and is due to meet with Espanyol chief executive Joan Collet, according to Catalan daily Mundo Deportivo. The Barcelona-based club now sit 19th in the table with just nine points from eleven games.
"The defeat has damaged us and hit the self-esteem of everyone," Pochettino said on Saturday. "The image was bad, we were not at the height we should be, and did not get into the game. We were always chasing the game. It is normal that the coach takes the responsibility. There is atmosphere all around the club, and a certain fatigue about what is happening."
The Argentine was referring to the complicated boardroom issues at the club, with presidential elections scheduled for next Monday (November 19) and a war of words taking place in the media between past regimes and the new candidates.
Former president Ramon Condal, 75, resigned last month with the club approximately €150 million in debt and majority shareholder Daniel Sanchez Llibre reportedly considering selling his shares. Collet is favourite to become the next president.
Former Pericos centre-back Pochettino stepped up to first team coach in 2009, initially impressing by building a young exciting team on limited resources, and was even spoken about as a potential successor to Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid. But results have slumped over the last 12 months, with key players being sold both for financial reasons and after falling out with Pochettino, who almost left to take over at Serie A side Sampdoria last summer.
Reports in the Spanish and Catalan press have placed currently out of work Ernesto Valverde, who coached Espanyol to the 2007 UEFA Cup final, and former Mexico, Atletico Madrid and Real Zaragoza boss Javier Aguirre, as potential replacements ahead of next weekend's La Liga trip to Valencia.
Latest Nigeria News
- Budget Padding Scandalous, Rubbishes Buhari?s Anti-Graft Crusade Says Afenifere
- 35 FRSC Crushed To Death By Drivers, 1 Loses Manhood
- Man Stoned And Burnt To Death For Stealing 3 Month Old Baby
- Stephen Keshi?s Burial Rites Commence Today
- Dogara Fights Back : Jibrin Smuggled Fake Projects Into The Budget
- Panic In Owerri Over Bombing Threat, Security Beefed Up
- I Have Not Been Paid For 5 Months Says Siasia
- Nnamdi Kanu: Biafra Restoration Not Personal Decision But Call From God Almighty
- Buhari Spits Fire: This Is What I Will Do To Corrupt APC Members
- NSCDC Rescues 9 Year Old Boy Chained For 2 Weeks Without Food In Celestial Church
- Breaking: Buhari?s Minister Reveals How Much His Government SavesMonthly
- Troops Nab Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists PMS Suppliers
- Nigerian Navy Arrests Niger Delta Avengers? Major Logistics Supplier
- Buhari Says Nigerians Still Love Him? See Fresh Poll Shows PMB?s Real Popularity
- Another Top Supplier To ND Avengers Arrested
- Bishop In Police Net For Allegedly Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers
- What This Boko Haram Member Was Caught Doing Will Shock You (photos)
- Bola Ige: This Is What President Buhari Told IGP To Do Immediately
- Pilot Tells EFCC: How I Transported Over N1.219bn To Fayose On An Aircraft
- EFCC Interrogates Doyin Okupe Over N162m Illicit Payment
- My Boyfriend Refused To Use Condom: Police Arrests Lovers Fighting Over S3x
- Revelations : I Drove The Bribe Money To Fayose?s Hotel Says Driver
- Fear Of Buhari: Senate Makes Very Crucial Statement
- Reuben Abati: Theresa May, Melaye and the Leader?s Wife
- How Bullion van Driver Delivered N1.2bn To Fayose?s Hotel
- 2 soldiers Killed, 7 injured in Boko Haram ambush
- PENGASSAN, NUPENG call off strike
- IPMAN urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Pipeline Bombings: Militant Group Announces 2 Week Ceasefire
- IPMAN Urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Many Feared Dead As Communal Clash Resurfaces In Benue Coomunity
- Student Stabs Landlord To Death, You Wont Believe What He Did Next
- Sen. Ben Murray-Bruce Hangs Out With His Lookalike Son, Cody (Video)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Gov. Ugwuanyi And Ogun Speaker Urge Muslims Faithful To Promote Peace And Unity
- Oduah Has No Female Domestic Staff
- Brent Oil Falls Below $50 As Nigeria Ups Production
- Breaking: Niger Delta Avengers Strike Again, Hit NNPC, Chevron Pipelines
- Alleged Fraud: Read What Happened To Diezani?s Ally In Court
- EFCC Removes Diezani From Money Laundering Trial
- Twitter Suspends Niger Delta Avengers Account