Sunday evening's incident-packed 2-1 win for Real Madrid at Levante brought contrasting reactions from the two camps, with the home players claiming referee Munoz Fernandez had helped Madrid win and the visitors complaining the officials had allowed Levante take an overly physical approach.
GettyImagesReal Madrid's 2-1 victory over Levante was played in appalling conditions
• Blog: Youth wins the way for Real
In a game played in driving rain, on a waterlogged pitch that made passing football almost impossible, Madrid went ahead through a Cristiano Ronaldo volley, but were pegged back after half-time when Levante substitute Angel clipped the ball past Iker Casillas.
In a frantic finale, Xabi Alonso's penalty was saved by Granotas goalkeeper Gustavo Munua, before young Real substitute Alvaro Morata headed an 84th winner.
The result left Levante midfielder Juanlu irate, and he claimed to reporters after the game that the officials had made sure Los Blancos won to ensure they did not fall even further behind Barcelona in the Primera Division race.
"The referee was a disgrace," Juanlu said. "He put down the Levante players a lot, warning us not to talk, while he clapped the Madrid players on the back and winked at them. The penalty was not a penalty, and the last free kick [from which Morata scored] was not a free-kick.
"La Liga was over if they did not win, so that could not happen. Mourinho has his notebook [of controversial decisions] but at the end they are always the ones who benefit."
The view from the Madrid camp was different, however, with anger over an early elbow from Levante defender David Navarro on Ronaldo, which lead to the Portuguese attacker requiring lengthy treatment on the sidelines and then asking to be substituted at half-time. Real defender Sergio Ramos accused Navarro and his fellow centre-half Sergio Ballesteros of violence.
"If Ballesteros likes boxing, he should go and do that and not football," Ramos said. "[Navarro] opened up Cristiano's eyebrow, and they had to give him five stitches. Why do you not talk about that?"
Madrid coach Jose Mourinho did not comment on the challenges, but praised his side for showing character to battle through and take the three points.
"Everyone has problems with these winter games," he said. "I had not played a game like that in such conditions. You must adapt. We switched to 4-4-2 as it was not a game to play football. When they reacted we had to show our character.
"Without Cristiano it was more difficult, but [Angel] Di Maria and [Jose] Callejon worked so hard. The crowd did not see a football game, but an honest war."
Mourinho, heavily criticised in Madrid lately for not giving youth a chance, claimed that his handling of Morata, 20, showed he knows how to introduce developing talent.
"Who brought him into the first team, took him on three pre-season tours, made sure he did not leave and gave him a first-team contract?" Mourinho asked. "It was me. The most important thing is that Morata is growing as a player and as a person. You must go forward calmly. We have [Gonzalo] Higuain and [Karim] Benzema, and the day they do not play you would say I am crazy."
Morata himself said that he was delighted to have scored, and appreciated Mourinho's guidance.
"It was very sweet," he said. "I had been close to scoring my first official senior goal in other games and I managed it today. I had chances to leave but I am at the best club in the world, with the best coach in the world. Mourinho gives me advice and help, I try to absorb them to become a better player."
Latest Nigeria News
- Dogara Fights Back : Jibrin Smuggled Fake Projects Into The Budget
- Panic In Owerri Over Bombing Threat, Security Beefed Up
- I Have Not Been Paid For 5 Months Says Siasia
- Nnamdi Kanu: Biafra Restoration Not Personal Decision But Call From God Almighty
- Buhari Spits Fire: This Is What I Will Do To Corrupt APC Members
- NSCDC Rescues 9 Year Old Boy Chained For 2 Weeks Without Food In Celestial Church
- Breaking: Buhari?s Minister Reveals How Much His Government SavesMonthly
- Troops Nab Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists PMS Suppliers
- Nigerian Navy Arrests Niger Delta Avengers? Major Logistics Supplier
- Buhari Says Nigerians Still Love Him? See Fresh Poll Shows PMB?s Real Popularity
- Another Top Supplier To ND Avengers Arrested
- Bishop In Police Net For Allegedly Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers
- What This Boko Haram Member Was Caught Doing Will Shock You (photos)
- Bola Ige: This Is What President Buhari Told IGP To Do Immediately
- Pilot Tells EFCC: How I Transported Over N1.219bn To Fayose On An Aircraft
- EFCC Interrogates Doyin Okupe Over N162m Illicit Payment
- My Boyfriend Refused To Use Condom: Police Arrests Lovers Fighting Over S3x
- Revelations : I Drove The Bribe Money To Fayose?s Hotel Says Driver
- Fear Of Buhari: Senate Makes Very Crucial Statement
- Reuben Abati: Theresa May, Melaye and the Leader?s Wife
- How Bullion van Driver Delivered N1.2bn To Fayose?s Hotel
- 2 soldiers Killed, 7 injured in Boko Haram ambush
- PENGASSAN, NUPENG call off strike
- IPMAN urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Pipeline Bombings: Militant Group Announces 2 Week Ceasefire
- IPMAN Urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Many Feared Dead As Communal Clash Resurfaces In Benue Coomunity
- Student Stabs Landlord To Death, You Wont Believe What He Did Next
- Sen. Ben Murray-Bruce Hangs Out With His Lookalike Son, Cody (Video)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Gov. Ugwuanyi And Ogun Speaker Urge Muslims Faithful To Promote Peace And Unity
- Oduah Has No Female Domestic Staff
- Brent Oil Falls Below $50 As Nigeria Ups Production
- Breaking: Niger Delta Avengers Strike Again, Hit NNPC, Chevron Pipelines
- Alleged Fraud: Read What Happened To Diezani?s Ally In Court
- EFCC Removes Diezani From Money Laundering Trial
- Twitter Suspends Niger Delta Avengers Account
- Niger Delta Avengers Twitter Account Blocked
- Unbelievable: See What Woman Did To 9 Months Old Pregnant Woman (photos)
- Lagosians Beware: You May Go To Jail Today If You Are Caught Doing This
- Ikpeazu begs Court: I Want Appeal Against Ogah Settled At The Speed Of Light