The Nigerian national football team, Super Eagles, have yet to arrive in Brazil, 24 hours to their crucial Group B encounter with Tahiti, in Belo Horizonte at the 2013 FIFA Confederation Cup.
Agitation over match bonus payments "grounded" the team in Windhoek after playing a 1-1 draw with hosts, Namibia, in an African qualifier for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, also to be hosted by Brazil.
A PANA Correspondent, covering the eight-team tournament, reports that the late arrival of the Super Eagles may have resulted in the general fan apathy for the tie taking place on Monday.
Only 17,210 tickets for the match had been bought as at Friday night while the venue of the match can hold 62,547 spectators.
According to the organisers, additional 36,134 tickets are still available for the Nigeria match but local football followers appeared skeptical, fearing either a 'no-show' or a below par performance, considering the rating of Tahiti and the apparent apathy the Nigerian side is putting up.
Even, 2,308 of the tickets sold for the Monday game were yet to be collected.
In contrast, all tickets for the Brazil-Japan opening game of Saturday were expectedly bought.
Also sold are tickets for the group matches between Mexico and Italy in Rio on Sunday and that between Spain and Uruguay in Recife on the same day as well as Brazil and Italy in Salvador on June 22.
For Saturday's opening match, 64,721 tickets were sold while Mexico-Italy match already had 71,407 tickets sold and collected.
The only Nigerian match that has attracted significant interest is the potentially explosive encounter with World Cup holders and European champions, Spain, slated for Fortaleza on 23 June.
About 45,234 tickets have been sold for the match, while additional 9,465 are being offered for sale.
Meanwhile, the Super Eagles will lodge at the Caesars Park Inn when they arrive in the sixth Brazilian most populous city of Belo Horizonte.
Their late arrival will not afford the Nigerians the opportunity to have a feel of the match venue, the sumptuous and historical Estadio Mineirao, where the U.S. shocked England in a World Cup match 63 years ago.
The stadium has since 1965 been reconstructed
Jet lag permitting, the Super Eagles may have light training at the Estadio Raimundo Sampaio.
On the other hand, Tahiti which has been intensifying training sessions since arriving Brazil on June 7 will again have another feel of the Estadio Mineirao on Sunday evening (6.30pm Nigerian time) with a two-hour training session.
They will then round off their public activity for the day with a press conference.
Owing to the late coming of Nigeria, no activity has been slated for the Super Eagles who may not have a pre-match conference.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)