The Nigerian national football team, Super Eagles, have yet to arrive in Brazil, 24 hours to their crucial Group B encounter with Tahiti, in Belo Horizonte at the 2013 FIFA Confederation Cup.
Agitation over match bonus payments "grounded" the team in Windhoek after playing a 1-1 draw with hosts, Namibia, in an African qualifier for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, also to be hosted by Brazil.
A PANA Correspondent, covering the eight-team tournament, reports that the late arrival of the Super Eagles may have resulted in the general fan apathy for the tie taking place on Monday.
Only 17,210 tickets for the match had been bought as at Friday night while the venue of the match can hold 62,547 spectators.
According to the organisers, additional 36,134 tickets are still available for the Nigeria match but local football followers appeared skeptical, fearing either a 'no-show' or a below par performance, considering the rating of Tahiti and the apparent apathy the Nigerian side is putting up.
Even, 2,308 of the tickets sold for the Monday game were yet to be collected.
In contrast, all tickets for the Brazil-Japan opening game of Saturday were expectedly bought.
Also sold are tickets for the group matches between Mexico and Italy in Rio on Sunday and that between Spain and Uruguay in Recife on the same day as well as Brazil and Italy in Salvador on June 22.
For Saturday's opening match, 64,721 tickets were sold while Mexico-Italy match already had 71,407 tickets sold and collected.
The only Nigerian match that has attracted significant interest is the potentially explosive encounter with World Cup holders and European champions, Spain, slated for Fortaleza on 23 June.
About 45,234 tickets have been sold for the match, while additional 9,465 are being offered for sale.
Meanwhile, the Super Eagles will lodge at the Caesars Park Inn when they arrive in the sixth Brazilian most populous city of Belo Horizonte.
Their late arrival will not afford the Nigerians the opportunity to have a feel of the match venue, the sumptuous and historical Estadio Mineirao, where the U.S. shocked England in a World Cup match 63 years ago.
The stadium has since 1965 been reconstructed
Jet lag permitting, the Super Eagles may have light training at the Estadio Raimundo Sampaio.
On the other hand, Tahiti which has been intensifying training sessions since arriving Brazil on June 7 will again have another feel of the Estadio Mineirao on Sunday evening (6.30pm Nigerian time) with a two-hour training session.
They will then round off their public activity for the day with a press conference.
Owing to the late coming of Nigeria, no activity has been slated for the Super Eagles who may not have a pre-match conference.
Latest Nigeria News
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well
- Jibrin Claims: Dogara Bribing Members With $25,000,
- Patoranking Reportedly Denied Entry Into Uganda