Diego Forlan scored in his 100th game for Uruguay to give his country a 2-1 win against Nigeria at soccer’s Confederations Cup.
The South Americans started impressively and despite easing off after the opening 10 minutes Diego Lugano, who will miss the next game after picking up his second yellow card of the tournament, soon broke the deadlock.
John Obi Mikel equalised with a fine finish but in the second half Diego Forlan marked his 100th cap for the national team with the winning goal, as Stephen Keshi's men paid the price for failing to test Fernando Muslera for much of the game.
Uruguay began brightly but were unable to take control of the game during the early stages as Nigeria proved a threat on the counterattack.
La Celeste lost momentum but still managed to open the scoring in the 19th minute. Forlan's deflected cross was unintentionally dummied by Edinson Cavani at the near post and an unmarked Lugano scuffed the ball into the back of the net.
Some last-ditch defending from Maxi Pereira stopped Brown Ideye from getting a shot away on goal moments later, while at the other end Forlan was unable to squeeze a Luis Suarez cross in at the near post with 26 minutes played.
The game had gone flat after Oscar Tabarez's side had taken the lead, but the crowd were sparked back into life eight minutes before the break when the Super Eagles restored parity.
Ideye fed Mikel at the top of the box and the Chelsea midfielder jinked past the static Lugano and bent a fine left-footed finish into the top corner.
Nigeria narrowly missed out on taking an advantage into the interval as a scrambling Muslera did brilliantly to stop Diego Godin from putting through his own goal with a looping header in first-half stoppage time.
The African champions picked up where they left off following the restart but it was Uruguay who struck next with 51 minutes on the clock.
Suarez and Cavani combined to set up Forlan on the left of the area and he capped a century of appearances for La Celesete with an unstoppable, first-time finish beating Vincent Enyeama at his near post.
The goal came as a blow to the Super Eagles and the South Americans made it difficult for Keshi's men to break them down by bolstering their numbers behind the ball when not in possession.
With 20 minutes remaining Cavani wasted a glorious opportunity to wrap up the three points as after springing the offside trap he snatched at the ball and sliced his effort well off target.
The Napoli striker then ailed to hit the target again with a free header shortly after but Tabarez's team retained their single-goal advantage up to the final whistle.
Although they stay in third position, Uruguay will have the upper hand heading into the final round of fixtures in Group B as they take on Tahiti while Nigeria will face world champions Spain.
Group B play ends June 23, when Spain faces Nigeria in Fortaleza and Tahiti meets Uruguay in Recife. The top two in each four-team pool advance to the semifinals. Brazil and Italy have already secured a berth in the final four from Group A.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)