- Lord Patten to meet acting director general Tim Davie to decide if it will be axed after 32 years
By Martin Robinson
PUBLISHED: 08:37 EST, 12 November 2012 | UPDATED: 10:01 EST, 12 November 2012
Future: Lord Patten leaves his home today and admits that the future of Newsnight is in doubt
The future of Newsnight is hanging in the balance after Lord Patten admitted its botched report that falsely accused Tory peer Lord McAlpine of being a paedophile could see it scrapped after 32 years.
The BBC Trust chairman Lord Patten and acting director general Tim Davie will meet today to discuss if the programme can survive the corporation's crisis.
Newsnight was first broadcast in January 1980 but in the past year it has been badly damaged by its decision not to run an investigation into Jimmy Savile's abuse of children and now the smearing of Lord McAlpine.
When Lord Patten was asked if the show will survive he said: 'That's one of the things we will be discussing with the acting director-general today.
'I think one of the things that should survive is the investigative journalism which it has represented along with Panorama.
'At the heart of our news offering has to be uncompromising investigative journalism but you have to get it right.'
John Whittingdale, chairman of the culture and media select committee, said: 'Newsnight has been very badly damaged by this, and maybe it will need to re-branded. But the BBC will need to continue to have a flagship news and current-affairs programme'
Newsnight has already been wounded by its decision not to air an investigation it commissioned last year into the criminal activities of the late Jimmy Savile.
Last month, following a decision by ITV to screen the allegations, Newsnight editor Peter Rippon 'stepped aside' pending the outcome of a review by Nick Pollard.
Two more senior BBC staff today 'stepped aside' at the crisis-hit Corporation as the fallout continues after a botched Newsnight investigation.
Then and now: Newsnight started in January 1980 with Peter Snow (left during first show) and is now presented by stars including Jeremy Paxman
BBC News director Helen Boaden and her deputy Stephen Mitchell follow Newsnight editor Peter Rippon, who also 'stepped aside' last month following a shelved probe into Jimmy Savile's sex abuse.
Meanwhile stalwart presenter Jeremy Paxman provoked fears he will
fiery presenter blamed 'cowards and incompetents' for the departure of
director general George Entwistle as he damned a culture of
'timeserving' and 'biddable' managers.
embittered response raised fears that he will leave the programme,
where he is known for his combative questioning and refusal to tolerate
Even staff on the programme are beginning to question whether it will be able to survive the crisis.
BBC insider asked whether, following two separate reviews into the
programme, 'it would be the kind of brand you want to be associated
Others believe a
brief suspension is possible – until at least after Christmas – while
the mess is cleared up and a new team installed.
Former Newsnight presenter Peter Snow said last night: 'It is a brilliant programme. It produces wonderful stuff and has done successfully for 32 years. To end Newsnight would be absurd. But I'm afraid Newsnight have made mistakes and of course they are going to have to suffer for that.'
Headlines Newsview all
Another explosion hit Kano, coming just 24 hours after the state suffered three bomb explosions in different locations. Today’s blast took place at the NNPC ...
This might look weird, but the former militant leader, Dokubo-Asari has alleged that the bomb attack on former Military Head of State was planned by ...
2 Bombs went off in northern Nigeria’s main city of Kano, killing 6 people and wounded 13 others on Sunday, a senior police officer said. The ...
Rate this article
- Police in Aba confirms one dead, 15 unconscious after an all night prayers
- Nigerian Man Igho Sanomi Emerges Africa’s Youngest Billionaire
- 16 Year Old Female Suicide Bomber Dies In Failed Attempt To Bomb University In Kano
Nollywood actress and wife of award winning music artiste, 2face Idibia, Annie, has revealed that she will not allow her children go through the emotional ...
Top South African role-interpreter, Xolile Tshabalala, has been appointed as the Ambassador for Africa International Film Festival (AFRIFF).The pretty lady held a meeting with the ...
Ahead of the prestigious Best of Nollywood (BON) awards ceremony, which takes place later in the year; organisers of the event have concluded plans to ...
Top Ghanaian actress, Juliet Ibrahim, who recently announced her divorce to her fans, was at an event in the United States of America (USA), where ...
There is no doubt that Ghanaian movie stars, Yvonne Nelson and John Dumelo are very close, but latest statement from the former indicates she is ...
Do you have a story/gist for publication? Please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org LILILL Zamfara | 7/28/2014 3:13:57 PM Habiba Abubakar, your beauty mark is x/20 where x ...
Mavin Records artiste, Sidney Esiri popularly known as Dr. Sid, and his fiancée, Simi Osomo tied the knot on Sunday, July 27, 2014 at the ...
Presh of the defunct KC Presh music group has pointed out that he should not be compared with KCee, who many believe is doing better ...
In 2013, news went viral alleging that a Beninoise actress-cum-musician, Ella Martins, was having a romantic affair with Nollywood actress, Genevieve Nnaji, and not, the ...
Nigeriafilms.com has confirmed that an account of top Nollywood star, Jim Iyke, earlier operated by an impostor on popular photo sharing website, Instagram, has been ...