By Adam Uren
PUBLISHED: 08:48 EST, 12 November 2012 | UPDATED: 12:15 EST, 12 November 2012
Hard-pressed households are preparing for the winter blues as British Gas hikes its gas and electricity prices by £80 this Friday.
As Britain braces itself for the chilly winter months, 8.5 million customers will see the cost of heating their homes rise by six per cent, as the average dual fuel bill increases from £1,238 to £1,318.
Five of the ‘big six’ energy suppliers have announced price hikes for this winter, and energy price comparison website uSwitch is urging customers to shop around for the best deal to soften the blow to their bank balance.
Price rise: British Gas has blamed dwindling supplies in the North Sea and the cost of maintaining the National Grid for its six per cent rise.
Director of consumer policy Ann Robinson said: ‘The timing could not be worse. As winter makes its presence known, the cost of heating our homes will be taking its toll on cash-strapped customers.
‘With bills reaching an all-time high, it’s no surprise that almost nine in ten households will be rationing their energy usage this winter.
‘This means that many will be potentially gambling with their health and well-being.’
The only major energy supplier not to have announced a price rise is E.ON, which made a pledge not to hike its bills until after December 31.
Scottish and Southern Energy has already increased its bills by nine per cent; EDF Energy bills will rise by 11 per cent from 3 December; Scottish Power’s will rise seven per cent from 3 December; and nPower will increase gas and electricity by 8.8 and 9.1 per cent respectively from 26 November.
British Gas justified the rise last month by saying that Britain’s North Sea gas supplies are running out, meaning the firm has to ‘pay the going rate for gas in a competitive global marketplace’, as well as pointing to the cost of maintaining and upgrading the National Grid.
With the nation’s main energy suppliers lumping more financial pressure on already struggling households, people can potentially save hundreds of pounds by switching their energy supplier.
The best dual fuel rate going at the moment is the First Utility’s iSave v12 plan, which costs on average £1,054 a year.
Ms Robinson has also urged energy customers to take extra measures to ensure they limit their gas and electricity use.
She said: ‘There are plenty of low-cost or even free insulation offers that people should be looking to take advantage of.
‘Consumers must also take the bull by the horns and ensure they are taking the most competitive details available.’
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)