- The two men were found dead at the scene in a wood near an airfield
- The circumstances of the accident are being investigated
By Sarah Johnson
PUBLISHED: 12:06 EST, 12 November 2012 | UPDATED: 12:09 EST, 12 November 2012
Two people were killed after the light aircraft they were flying in crashed in a wood less than two miles from an airfield.
The men were found dead at the scene where the plane went down in County Offaly in Ireland.
The two victims, an instructor in his thirties and a young trainee in his twenties, had taken off at Birr Airfield and were headed south.
Tragic: Pictured is the light aircraft that crashed killing two men
The Irish Aviation Authority confirmed the plane lost contact with Air Traffic Control in Shannon yesterday afternoon at around 4.50pm.
A spokesman said: 'The aircraft dropped off screen and the controllers alerted the emergency services and Gardai'.
The Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) of the Department of Transport was then notified.
Garda Air Support and emergency services launched a search at around 6.30pm and discovered the Cessna Light Training Aircraft not far from the airfield.
An instructor and a young trainee pilot were pronounced dead at the scene when the Cessna 150H they were flying crashed in a wood less than two miles from an airfield
Emergency services started searching for the aircraft a couple of hours after Air Traffic Control lost contact with the plane
It is understood both men were members of the Ormond Flying Club, based in Birr.
Local sources have suggested the student pilot was at an advanced level and may have been on track to gaining his commercial licence.
The AAIU and Gardai are now investigating the circumstances of the accident.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)