- Child airlifted to intensive care after smash on South Yorkshire Nottinghamshire border
- Emma Lifsey died in hospital in the early hours of this morning
- Woman driver, 67, taken to hospital with injuries
By Anna Edwards
PUBLISHED: 08:58 EST, 4 December 2012 | UPDATED: 04:39 EST, 5 December 2012
A four-year-old girl has died in hospital after she and an elderly woman driver were hit by a train when their car went through a level crossing.
British Transport Police said a train collided with a car at the Beech Hill crossing on Springs Road, Mission Springs, Nottinghamshire, at 12.35pm yesterday.
Emergency services were called to the isolated level crossing, which has barriers and flashing lights, in the middle of a huge stretch of flat farmland at Beech Hill.
The 67-year-old driver suffered severe neck injuries and was taken by ambulance to nearby Doncaster Royal Infirmary, while youngster Emma LIfsey was taken by air ambulance to Sheffield Children’s Hospital.
Scroll down for video
Emma Lifsey was killed when a train collided with the car that she and a 67-year-old driver were in
The scene where the car and train collided with one another, injuring the child so badly she had to be flown to hospital
The train hit a car at the level crossing in Finningley, Nottinghamshire, injuring two people (file picture)
The incident involved the 11.54 East Midlands Trains service from Lincoln to Doncaster
In a statement issued through British Transport Police, Emma’s parents, Mark and Zoe Lifsey, aged 40 and 38 and from Haxey, said: 'Emma meant the world to us. She was our much-loved daughter and a baby sister to her 11-year-old brother Jack.
'We are still trying to come to terms with the terrible incident on Tuesday afternoon and there are no words that can properly express how utterly distraught we are.
'We would like to thank everyone for the many messages of sympathy and support we have received.
'As you can appreciate, this tragic incident has left us shocked and devastated and we would ask that we can be left to grieve in private at this acutely difficult and sad time for us.'
The BTP spokesman said: 'The police investigation into the incident is ongoing and remains very much in the early stages.
'Officers are working hard to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident, including how the vehicle came to be on the tracks at the time.
'This will include speaking to any witnesses to the incident, while specialist officers will also look at evidence from the scene and the car in question, a black Volvo which has now been recovered.
Crash horror: Emergency services rushed to the scene to investigate the incident
The collision happened in Finningley near Doncaster, South Yorkshire
'The train, a Lincoln to Doncaster
service, was damaged but remained upright and on the tracks. There have
been no reports of injuries to passengers or staff onboard.
'The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) and Office of Rail Regulation have been notified.'
An East Midlands Trains spokesperson said: 'The incident happened at approximately 12.35 and involved the 11.54 East Midlands Trains service from Lincoln to Doncaster.
'The train remained upright on the tracks at all times.
'Our first priority and thoughts are for those involved in the incident. Our staff ensured that passengers were safely escorted from the train and these passengers will be taken forward to Doncaster by alternative road transport.
'We will work with Network Rail and the British Transport Police to ensure those involved in this incident are given every assistance.'
The spokesman added that a bus service is operating on the affected route between Lincoln and Doncaster.
A National Rail worker posting on Twitter said thanks to a local who had given drinks to the evacuated and shocked passengers.
As night descended BTP erected flood lights as several police continue examining and clearing the area. The car remains at the scene.
The level crossing is one protected by double barriers and is not manually operated.
A local farmer, who did not wish to be named, said: 'The level crossing is a really obvious one, I can't see how this could have really happened other than somebody skidding into and breaking through it. It seems really odd to me.'
VIDEO: 'Were the lights and barriers working?' Police quizzed over crossing crash.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)