- Typhoon Bopha has so far killed 647 people in the Philippines
- A another 780 people are missing, including hundreds of fishermen
- Relief agencies are trying to help the thousands of people left homeless by the storm
(CNN) -- Rescue workers are searching for more than 300 Filipino fishermen who have gone missing after a devastating typhoon that tore across the Philippines last week, killing more than 600 people, authorities said Monday.
Typhoon Bopha, the strongest tropical cyclone to hit the Philippines this year, set off flash floods and landslides that engulfed people sheltering in their rickety houses in remote, unprepared regions on the southern island of Mindanao.
Read more: Rescuers struggle to aid Philippines storm victims
The number of people still unaccounted for climbed sharply during the weekend as officials learned of the disappearance of boatloads of fishermen who set off before Typhoon Bopha slammed into the east coast of Mindanao on Tuesday.
Rescue efforts are under way to try to find the missing fishermen, many of whom left from the port city of General Santos on the south coast of Mindanao, said Maj. Reynaldo Balido, military assistant for operations at the Philippine Office of Civil Defense.
A total 780 people are missing in the Philippines as a whole, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, the country's emergency management agency, said Monday.
Read more: Devastation in a Philippine valley where typhoons aren't expected
That includes the fishermen and more than 400 people in New Bataan, a town in southeastern Mindanao where flash floods triggered by Bopha's heavy rain buried large areas under mud, rocks and trees.
The overwhelming majority of the 647 people killed by the typhoon are from the regions of Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley, where New Bataan is situated.
Many people in those areas failed to anticipate Bopha, known locally as Pablo, the strongest storm to hit Mindanao in decades. The island experiences fewer tropical cyclones than the regions of the Philippines further north.
Survivors are now struggling to find enough water, food and shelter. Relief agencies are scrambling to provide help to the worst hit areas, but damage to infrastructure like roads and communications networks is complicating their task.
The scale of the challenge facing them is huge: nearly 1,500 people have been injured and more than 300,000 have been forced to seek shelter in evacuation centers or elsewhere.
Philippine President Benigno Aquino III, who visited New Bataan and other severely affected areas Friday, has declared a state of national calamity, which releases emergency funds and puts price controls on basic goods.
- More sharing
Headlines Newsview all
The winner of Nigeria's presidential poll, Muhammadu Buhari, has hailed his victory as a vote for change and proof the nation has embraced democracy. Mr Buhari ... Full story
Late Fela Anikulapo’s son, Seun Kuti took to twitter this morning to commend the youths for voting for change, and also warned the newly elected ... Full story
Rate this article
- Is Flavour Expecting a Child From Ex-Beauty Queen Anna Banner?
- Read What AirAsia Flight Attendant Said From 38,000 ft Above Before She Died
- Angry Man Beats Lovers For Having S3x Inside His Mini-Bus In Ajegunle
Men make history and not the other way around. In periods where there is no leadership, society stands still. Progress occurs when courageous, skillful leaders ...
Triple MG first lady, Emma Nyra has congratulated Nigerians for a peaceful conduct for the attainment of another democratic era in 2015. Emma who joins the ...
An artiste, Mr Aginam Benjamin, says the use of the internet to promote songs is better than using marketers. Benjamin told the News Agency of Nigeria ...
A super wealthy family Indeed. Former governor of Osun State, Isiaka Adeleke has won the Osun West senatorial district, reports National Mirror. Adeleke, who is also ...
As the chairman of the Independent National Electorial Commission (INEC) finally announced the winner of the 2015 Presidential elections, many encomiums have continued to come ...
How many Nigerian celebrities would like to be Mrs Elliot? Well, it seems the tone of Nolllywood actors who supported the President Jonathan led administration ...
Nollywood producer and social commentator, Charles Novia, has hailed President Goodluck Jonathan for strengthening democracy in the country. The controversial showbiz personality said he never regretted ...
Many Nollywood actors have began accepting their fate on the outcome of the 2015 Presidential election result by INEC as they gradually sum up the ...
After three previous failed shots at the presidency, Muhammadu Buhari is finally moving into Aso Rock, Nigeria’s presidential palace,as the President of the Federal Republic ...
With presidential election results from all but one of Nigeria’s 36 states counted, and the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Muhammadu Buhari, clearly in ...