More than 100,000 expats to lose winter fuel allowance after Osborne reveals plans for 'temperature test' for the benefit
- Chancellor will unveil proposals to restrict expats from claiming the benefit
- He will confirm today there is to be a crackdown on the
- Almost £2million goes abroad every week to claimants
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 17:21 EST, 25 June 2013 | UPDATED: 09:29 EST, 26 June 2013
More than 100,000 expat pensioners face losing winter fuel payments as George Osborne today reveals plans for a ‘temperature test’.
The Chancellor will unveil proposals to restrict elderly Britons living in warmer countries from claiming the benefit – worth up to £300 a year – according to government sources.
There has been increasing controversy over pensioners’ free TV licences, bus passes and winter fuel payments, with half the Cabinet arguing that they should be limited if further squeezes on working-age welfare are to be justified.
Scroll down for video
Cuts: More than 100,000 expat pensioners face losing winter fuel payments as George Osborne today reveals plans for a 'temperature test'.
David Cameron pledged at the last election that the fuel payments would be protected until 2015, leading to months of wrangling over whether expats should also keep their benefits.
However the Chancellor will confirm in today’s spending review that there is to be a crackdown on the so-called ‘sunshine benefits’ after the next election.
Almost £2million goes abroad every week to claimants who qualify for welfare despite leaving the UK.
It is expected that pensioners living in European countries, who can currently claim a range of benefits, will lose winter fuel payments if they live in a region with a higher average winter temperature than the warmest region of the UK.
This system would disqualify an estimated 120,000 people and save £30million a year after 2015/16, when it is expected to come into force.
Controversially, richer pensioners who have emigrated to colder countries will continue to receive the payments, while poorer pensioners will lose it if they live in warmer areas.
Plans: The Chancellor will unveil proposals to restrict elderly Britons living in warmer countries from claiming the benefit - worth up to £300 a year - according to government sources
Traditionally, people have only been eligible for the winter fuel payment if they were living in Britain at the age of 60 and then moved abroad.
But thanks to a ruling by the European Court of Justice, the UK could be forced to pay out to all 444,000 British pensioners living abroad – costing us up to £100million a year.
The court insisted that any elderly expat should be able to get the fuel payment, no matter what age they were when they left Britain. And there has been a 13-fold rise in the number of expats claiming the benefit in the last decade.
The latest figures show 33,815 pensioners living in Spain receive the payment, worth £200 for the over-60s and £300 for those over the age of 80. This costs taxpayers £5.8million a year, despite the fact that temperatures in Spain can reach 63F (17C) in December and January.
There are 18,155 recipients in France, many of them in the south where winter temperatures are often a comfortable 57F (14C). Other warm countries with large numbers of recipients include Italy, Portugal and Greece.
‘The bill is going to go up further and that isn’t sustainable,’ said a source. ‘In order to keep the cost under control we are going to be looking at changing the rules and introducing a temperature test.
‘It can’t be right that a payment meant to help people through cold winters is going to those living in the Mediterranean.’
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith are among those in the Cabinet who have been pressing for a rethink on universal pensioner benefits.
Mr Duncan Smith told the Mail last year: ‘The winter fuel payment is about helping British pensioners with heating costs and it is ludicrous we could have to pay more pensioners living in hot countries.’
Around 12million people in the UK receive the payment each year, but critics say it should be limited to poorer pensioners who need help with fuel bills.
However thanks to Mr Cameron’s pledge, there is no question of winter fuel payments for those living in the UK being cut or means-tested until at least 2016.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)