An explosion caused by dynamite on a bus in the Nigerian oil hub city of Port Harcourt on Thursday killed the driver and wounded two others, the state governor and a rescue official said.
"It was a minor incident of suspected robbers who put some dynamite and weapons inside a bus," Rivers state governor Rotimi Amaechi told AFP by phone.
Some of the dynamite exploded, he said, "killing the driver while the two other occupants sustained injuries."
Port Harcourt is the capital of Rivers state and home to a number of oil firm offices.
Amaechi said it appeared the alleged robbers were using the bus for transportation and the explosion happened accidentally.
"It was not a bomb attack," he said. "It was a dynamite explosion inside a bus by suspected armed robbers who usually use dynamite to rob banks."
Amaechi said the two people who were wounded were taken to hospital and were to be handed over to security agents for questioning. According to the governor, police recovered four AK-47 rifles and an unspecified amount of ammunition.
A spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency confirmed the explosion as well as the death of the driver, but provided no further details.
"The situation is under control," said Yushau Shuaib.
A military spokesman had earlier said the explosion occurred at a bus station in the Rumuokoro area of the city.
Criminals in Nigeria tend to be well-armed, including with explosives and even reports of rocket launchers on occasion. Illegal weapons are widespread in the country, Africa's most populous nation and largest oil producer.
Nigeria's north has been hit by scores of bomb blasts blamed on Islamist group Boko Haram, but the country's south has so far not been hit by such attacks.
Prior to a 2009 amnesty deal, the crude-producing Niger Delta region, where Port Harcourt is a major city, was hit by unrest by militants claiming to be fighting for a fairer distribution of oil revenue.
The amnesty however led to a sharp decline in the unrest, which mainly targeted the oil industry and saw ransom kidnappings of expatriate workers as well as wealthy Nigerians.
Oil production has also rebounded to between 2.0 million and 2.4 million barrels per day, after output having been cut by around a half at the peak of the unrest in the Delta.
While the situation in the Delta has calmed, sporadic incidents continue to occur, including kidnappings and pipeline sabotage, while oil theft for sale on the lucrative black market has been on the rise.
About Article Author
Francisca (Viv) has over 10+ years of writing experience in press releases, feature articles, promotions, copywriting for small businesses and manufacturers in various industries. She brings a wealth of experience and is the "calmer" when these is a storm. She loves to travel and read.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian British Councillor, Chika Amadi Suspended by Labour Party for Anti-gay Comments...See Details
- Heartbreaking: Woman Spotted Half-N*ked in Public Begging for Help After Losing 4 Kids in Kerosene Explosion
- Drama At A Funeral Ground As Drunken Friends Stop Pastor From Preaching Because Its Against Their Believe
- Horror: 9 Soldiers Currently Feared Dead in Borno As Boko Haram Attacks Oil Workers
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu
- Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community
- Sad! Gunmen Kill Bricklayer Working To Pay For Father’s Treatment
- OMG!! Woman Borrows Twins To Defraud Ex-Commissioner
- Shocking!! I Raped 11 Year Old Girl Purely For Money Rituals - Baba Mohammed
- 54 Commercial S3x Workers And 56 Patronizers Arrested In Calabar Hotel
- La Casera Fires Hundreds Of Workers And Shuts Down Operations