- The Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP) office, has confirmed 236 ex-agitators from Abia as beneficiaries of its amnesty scheme
- Vice President Yemi Osinbajo recently directed that youths from Abia and Imo must be included in the scheme
- The Coordinator noted that over 80 per cent of the beneficiaries have received training and empowerment and pledged continuity in training and empowerment
The Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP) office, has confirmed 236 ex-agitators from Abia as beneficiaries of its amnesty scheme. The programme coordinator, (retired) Brig.-Gen. Paul Boroh, made this disclosure in a statement issued on Wednesday in Abuja. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Vice President Yemi Osinbajo recently directed that youths from Abia and Imo must be included in the scheme.
According to the vice president, their participation in the programme would help in reducing youth restiveness in the oil producing areas. He added that social and economic activities would be allowed to thrive with the engagement of youth in the area. Boroh, who is also the Special Adviser to the President on Niger Delta Affairs, said the exercise was conducted by his office with the Senior Special Adviser to Abia state Governor on Niger Delta Affairs in the state, Mr Kingsley Nna, in Port Harcourt and Okrika.
Boroh said that the 236 indegenes of Abia are currently beneficiaries of the programme in a document that was handed over to him on assumption of office in June 2014. He explained that no disarmament took place in Abia in 2009 when Amnesty was pronounced by the then President Umaru Musa Yar’adua for ex-militants in the region.
The Presidential aide said youths from different parts of the country, who carried arms at the time in various camps in Rivers and others states were disarmed. He said the verification which had a massive turn up of over 200 ex-agitators from the Abia were confirmed after series of identification process in the state.
The Coordinator noted that over 80 per cent of the beneficiaries have received training and empowerment and pledged continuity in training and empowerment.
He disclosed that over 150 of the ex-agitators were disarmed in High Chief Ateke Tom’s camp, while others were disarmed from the camps of Fara Dagogo, Soboma George, Burst line and among others.
Boroh said the exercise is also in line with government’s commitment to ensure indegenes of oil producing areas benefit from plans designed for youth empowerment. The statement also quoted Nna, who described the verification as a fact finding mission to ascertain the true state of things as it concerns Abia indegenes and the programme. He said it is an ongoing process which is expected to develop Abia indigenes through the Amnesty Programme.
He emphasised that their interest and others who disarmed were paramount and the verification necessary for proper identification in order to give the programme a human face. Nna promised that all would be carried along and no one would be regarded as ghost beneficiaries. In the NAIJ.com video below, some ex-military officers have called for the scrap of the legislative arm of government.
About Article Author
He is extremely motivated, organized and disciplined. Nick has have over 6+ years experience with web content management, administrative duties, Excel, Microsoft software, Quick books, Customer Service, as well as email management, internet research and data entry. He is committed to producing top-notch, quality work, which is his driving force.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian British Councillor, Chika Amadi Suspended by Labour Party for Anti-gay Comments...See Details
- Heartbreaking: Woman Spotted Half-N*ked in Public Begging for Help After Losing 4 Kids in Kerosene Explosion
- Drama At A Funeral Ground As Drunken Friends Stop Pastor From Preaching Because Its Against Their Believe
- Horror: 9 Soldiers Currently Feared Dead in Borno As Boko Haram Attacks Oil Workers
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu
- Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community
- Sad! Gunmen Kill Bricklayer Working To Pay For Father’s Treatment
- OMG!! Woman Borrows Twins To Defraud Ex-Commissioner
- Shocking!! I Raped 11 Year Old Girl Purely For Money Rituals - Baba Mohammed
- 54 Commercial S3x Workers And 56 Patronizers Arrested In Calabar Hotel
- La Casera Fires Hundreds Of Workers And Shuts Down Operations