A battle line has been drawn between Delta State former ex-convict Governor, James Ibori and Governor Ifeanyi Okowa over Thursday's dissolution of Moses Ogbe's led Delta State Independent Electoral Commission (DSIEC) by the State House of Assembly, SaharaReporters can authoritatively report.
A personal aide to former Governor Ibori who confided in SaharaReporters disclosed that Ibori has drawn a battle line with incumbent Governor Okowa for using the legislature to dissolve the commission without any consultation before sacking his nominee, who is the chairman of the commission.
"Though I am not permitted to speak on the issue, I can authoritatively tell you that my boss felt slit by Governor Okowa without any form of consultations before going ahead to sack the commission. Oga was very furious and that Okowa is biting more than he can chew. For some time now Okowa has been doing things to slit Oga, he has been taking Oga for a ride, and Oga has not been happy with him. The commission is statutory and that's supposed to end next year."
"The other day, my boss, His Excellency, former Governor James Ibori read with pain on the news how Governor Okowa sold off Delta Line Company to an Ibo man without consultations, he is running DESOPADEC as his own personal estate against the wishes of the people of the oil bearing communities in the state and so many other things he is doing which does not go well with Oga." Ibori's aide said.
Ibori's aide said Mr. Okowa is afraid of conducting a credible local government election.
"The present local government administration will elapse in October and for fear of defeat, Governor Okowa has decided to use all available tactics to put in place a new board that can sit down and write results for his hand picked candidates. He has failed the people. He promised not to use caretaker committees, but with the hand writing on the wall Okowa will end up using them. What a failed administration," he added.
Delta State House of Assembly dissolved the Delta State Independent Electoral Commission (DSIEC) on Thursday, citing defects and shortcomings in the law establishing the commission during Uduaghan's administration.
The dissolution followed a motion brought under matters of urgent public importance by the Majority Leader of the House, Mr. Tim Owhefere, seconded by Mr. Samuel Mariere, a member representing Ughelli North 1 Constituency and was unanimously adopted.
According to Owhefere, "Due to the exigencies of the nation's fast moving democracy, the Delta State Independent Electoral Commission be now dissolved in line with section 7(1) of the DSIEC law 2012", stating that the development was necessitated by noticeable defects and shortcomings in the electoral process as a result of the law establishing the commission which is currently before the House for amendment.
Owhefere stated that the dissolution will enable the House to work on a proposed new DSIEC law that would enhance the electoral process in the state and thereafter the House Speaker, Mr. Sheriff Oborevwori, who presided over plenary, called for a vote by members after which the commission was dissolved.
About Article Author
Francisca (Viv) has over 10+ years of writing experience in press releases, feature articles, promotions, copywriting for small businesses and manufacturers in various industries. She brings a wealth of experience and is the "calmer" when these is a storm. She loves to travel and read.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian British Councillor, Chika Amadi Suspended by Labour Party for Anti-gay Comments...See Details
- Heartbreaking: Woman Spotted Half-N*ked in Public Begging for Help After Losing 4 Kids in Kerosene Explosion
- Drama At A Funeral Ground As Drunken Friends Stop Pastor From Preaching Because Its Against Their Believe
- Horror: 9 Soldiers Currently Feared Dead in Borno As Boko Haram Attacks Oil Workers
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu
- Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community
- Sad! Gunmen Kill Bricklayer Working To Pay For Father’s Treatment
- OMG!! Woman Borrows Twins To Defraud Ex-Commissioner
- Shocking!! I Raped 11 Year Old Girl Purely For Money Rituals - Baba Mohammed
- 54 Commercial S3x Workers And 56 Patronizers Arrested In Calabar Hotel
- La Casera Fires Hundreds Of Workers And Shuts Down Operations