FOUR tanks have been spotted heading towards the Zimbabwean capital Harare after a military chief warned the armed forces are ready to “step in” to a political row that began last week.
Witnesses said the tanks turned before reaching Harare, heading towards the Presidential Guard compound in a suburb called Dzivarasekwa on the outskirts of Harare.
One nearby witness said: "There were about four tanks and they turned right here, you can see markings on the road.”
Soldiers were spotted at the scene but refused to talk to reporters.
Following the sacking of the country’s vice-president last week, the head of the armed forces General Constantino Chiwenga demanded an end to a purge in the ruling ZANU-PF party.
Emerson Mnangangwa, who was sacked by Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe last week, had been expected to succeed the 93-year-old leader but his sacking suggests that that Mugabe is paving the way for his wife Grace, 52, to take over as leader.
Mr Mnangangwa had been popular with the military following his role in Zimbabwe's liberation wars in the 1970s and comments made by General Chiwega appear to show where the army's allegiance lies.
He told reporters on Monday: "We must remind those behind the current treacherous shenanigans that, when it comes to matters of protecting our revolution, the military will not hesitate to step in.
"The current purging ... targeting members of the party with a liberation background must stop forthwith."
On Tuesday evening, two armoured personnel carriers were seen on the outskirts of the Zimbabwean capital, along with soldiers directing traffic.
The soldiers were directing traffic and ordered passing cars to keep their windows up and not ask questions.
"Don't try anything funny, just go," one soldier said to a Reuters reporter.
Mr Mugabe has been the Zimbabwean leader for 37 years.
His wife has a strong following in the powerful youth wing of the ZANU-PF party and her slow rise has been seen as a challenge to many of the independence-era war veterans who hold powerful positions within Zimbabwean society.
Neither the president nor Grace Mugabe have responded to Genera Chiwenga's comments but the ZANU-PF youth wing has accused him of subverting the constitution.
Kudzai Chipanga, who leads the youth league, said: "We will not hold out hands to allow a creature of the constitution to subvert the very constitution which establishes it.
"Defending the revolution and our leader and president is an ideal we live for and if need be it is a principle we are prepared to die for."
The news comes after the ruling ZANU-PF party described the army chief's statement as "treasonable conduct" and had been calculated to disturb peace and stability.
It added that the party reaffirms "primacy of politics over the gun" and said it would never succumb to military pressure.
The political tensions in Zimbabwe come as the country struggles to pay for imports following a dollar crunch, which has also left the country short of cash.
The US state department has urged all parties in Zimbabwe to "calmly and peacefully" resolve the ongoing disputes and said its embassy in Harare is closely monitoring the situation.
Martin Rupiya, an expert on Zimbabwe military affairs at the University of South Africa in Pretoria, said the army appeared to be putting the squeeze on Mugabe.
He said: "There's a rupture between the executive and the armed forces."
Alex Magaisa, a British-based Zimbabwean academic said it was too early for talk about a coup.
"A military coup is the nuclear option. A coup would be a very hard sell at home and in the international community. They will want to avoid that,"
About Article Author
Francisca (Viv) has over 10+ years of writing experience in press releases, feature articles, promotions, copywriting for small businesses and manufacturers in various industries. She brings a wealth of experience and is the "calmer" when these is a storm. She loves to travel and read.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian British Councillor, Chika Amadi Suspended by Labour Party for Anti-gay Comments...See Details
- Heartbreaking: Woman Spotted Half-N*ked in Public Begging for Help After Losing 4 Kids in Kerosene Explosion
- Drama At A Funeral Ground As Drunken Friends Stop Pastor From Preaching Because Its Against Their Believe
- Horror: 9 Soldiers Currently Feared Dead in Borno As Boko Haram Attacks Oil Workers
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu
- Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community
- Sad! Gunmen Kill Bricklayer Working To Pay For Father’s Treatment
- OMG!! Woman Borrows Twins To Defraud Ex-Commissioner
- Shocking!! I Raped 11 Year Old Girl Purely For Money Rituals - Baba Mohammed
- 54 Commercial S3x Workers And 56 Patronizers Arrested In Calabar Hotel
- La Casera Fires Hundreds Of Workers And Shuts Down Operations