Dillian Whyte claims he has been offered a fight with Anthony Joshua at Wembley Stadium on April 13. But the Brixton heavyweight has slammed the ‘utterly ridiculous’ deal on the table, claiming he made more for fighting Dereck Chisora last month.
Joshua is pencilled in to return to the national stadium in April, but an opponent for the WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight champion has yet to be confirmed.
With Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury expected to meet in a rematch, Whyte put himself at the front of the queue when he laid out Chisora in their rematch at the O2 Arena on December 22.
Whyte and AJ shared words in the ring following that fight, with the champion booed for saying his priority was trying to secure a fight with Wilder. Now Whyte has poured more cold water on a potential meeting.
“It’s very unlikely that I’ll be fighting Joshau in April. I just received a stupid offer from him after waiting for it since October,” he told The Sun.
“There has been a first offer but it is utterly ridiculous, a lot less than what I made for Chisora, I think they only made the offer to cover themselves, they are not serious about it.
“The offer is silly, I am a pay-per-view fighter now, I have worked my way up with nine wins since I boxed him, all won in spectacular fashion. It is a childish offer, they know what I bring to the table, if he doesn’t get Deontay Wilder or Tyson Fury then I am the only one who sells Wembley out.”
The Body Snatcher has fought his way back into contention with nine uninterrupted wins since he was stopped by Joshua back in 2015.
Eddie Hearn told Sportsmail last month that he hoped to have Joshua’s next fight signed and sealed ‘first thing in January’ but so far no such deal has been secured.
Unbeaten American, Jarrell Miller is another potential opponent for AJ. Big Baby, who is his stablemate at Matchroom, could land a fight with Joshua later in the year as the champion looks to make it in the US.
Hearn said last month that Miller is a ‘viable option’ for the unified champion’s next fight, with New York’s Madison Square Garden and Brooklyn’s Barclays Center considered potential venues.
Meanwhile, reports suggest Whyte could face the retired Wladimir Klitschko. The Ukrainian legend hasn’t fought since losing to AJ at Wembley in April, 2017.
But amid talk of an unlikely return, Whyte said he’d ‘happily fight’ Klitschko, claiming: ‘He won’t be coming back ever again after I’m done with him. That I can promise you. I have trained alongside him and sparred him, I will knock him out.’
About Article Author