Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday, asked those who are beneficiaries of government patronage to always engage in corporate social responsibility, instead of seeking to favour individuals with gifts. Buhari spoke in Daura, Katsina State, Friday, when he visited the Emir of Daura, Dr Umar Faruk Umar.
2. The Minister of Interior, Mr Rauf Aregbesola, has asked governors to sign the death warrant of 3,008 inmates on death row at custodial facilities across the country. Aregbesola said this in Osogbo, Osun State, while inaugurating the newly constructed headquarters of the Nigerian Correctional Service, NCoS in the State, on Friday.
3. Suspected bandits have killed seven vigilantes also known as Yan Sakai in an attack on Dansadau town of Maru Local Government Area of Zamfara State. The spokesman of the state police command, SP Muhammad Shehu confirmed the incident.
4. Alhaji Umar Faruk Umar, the Emir of Daura, has said Nigeria is lucky to have President Muhammadu Buhari “at this point in time”. Speaking when the president visited him at his palace in Katsina on Friday, the monarch said Buhari has done well.
5. The court hearing of embattled Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo aka Sunday Igboho over immigration-related issues has been adjourned to Monday, July 26. A statement by Media Communications Secretary of the Yoruba self-determination groups’ umbrella body, Ilana Omo Oodua (IOO) Mr. Maxwell Adeleye, confirmed the adjournment.
6. A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos on Friday sentenced 10 pirates to seven years imprisonment each for hijacking a Chinese fishing vessel, FV Hai Lu Feng II, in May 2020, off Cote D’Ivoire. Justice Ayokunle Faji also ordered each pirate to pay a fine of N1million each.
7. President Muhammadu Buhari arrived Abuja by 5.40pm on Friday after an eight-day visit to Katsina where he spent the Eid-el-Kabir celebration in his Daura country home. A statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, summarized his activities in Daura during the visit.
8. A man believed to be an informant for Ondo State Security Network codenamed Amotekun Corps has been killed by suspected cultists. Ondo Police spokesman, ASP Tee-Leo Ikoro, who confirmed the killing said investigation has commenced into the matter.
9. A Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the Department of State Services (DSS) to produce before or on next Thursday 12 associates of the Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo aka Sunday Igboho arrested during a raid in his house on July 2. Justice Obirora Egwuatu gave the order on Friday while ruling on an ex-parte application argued by lawyer to the 12 detainees – Pelumi Olajengbesi.
10. The Chinese Government on Friday donated 470,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine to Nigeria. The Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Cui Jianchun, made the donation to the Nigerian Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, in Abuja.
About Article Author