Former MEND's Leader Okah Allegedly Indicts Ex-President Jonathan Over 2010 Independence Day Bombing
- Okah was quoted to have said that Jonathan wanted him to implicate former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida over the bombing
- He was also reported to have indicted Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna state and the founder of AIT, Chief Raymond Dokpesi
Charles Okah, the alleged mastermind of the 1 October 2010 bombing in Abuja, has allegedly indicted the former President Goodluck Jonthan over the case of terrorism filed by the federal government for which he is standing trial.
Sahara Reporters reports that Okah, who is awaiting trial in Kuje prison, Abuja, is the first defendant in case of terrorism filed by the federal government, said in his witness statement that the former president wanted him to implicate General Ibrahim Babangida, former military president; Nasir El-Rufai, now governor of Kaduna state and Dr. Raymond Dokpesi, founder of African Independent Television, in the 2010 Independence Day Bombing in Abuja.
Onlinenigeria.com gathered that Okah was arrested by the Department of State Security (DSS) on 16 October 2010 at his residence located at 14B Oranyan road, Apapa GRA, Lagos, for alleged terrorism and treason in relation to Independence Day bombing.
He was arrested along with his son, Boloebi; a domestic staff, Kufre Felix Friday and their friends who were in the house at the time.
He, according to Sahara Reporters, said they were flown to the DSS Headquarters in Abuja, adding that what followed made things clearer to him.
He said: “Just before midnight of 17 October 2010, heavily armed hooded DSS operatives burst into my cell and took me blindfolded to an outside location with the aim of trying to intimidate me into believing I was going to be summarily executed. On Monday, October 18, at about 12 noon, I was brought out of my cell to be interrogated for the first time.”
To his surprise, said Okah, his interrogators were very friendly and respectful.
He claimed they explained to him that he was not their target, but were only seeking his support for “my south-south brother, Goodluck Jonathan”.
The support they requested, he explained, was for him to use the Independence Day bombing to implicate General Babangida (Retd.), who was running against Jonathan for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential ticket.
They also wondered why his brother, Henry Okah, was refusing to convince the MEND’s spokesman to retract the statement taking responsibility for the bomb blast, so that it could be blamed on some northerners.
Okah stated that his brother had been contacted by Tony Uranta, a close ally of former President Jonathan.
To get him to do as they wished, Okah said his interrogators made him obscenely lucrative contract offers and freedom for him and his son in exchange for false testimony that would suggest that his visit to the Abuja residence of General Babangida around March 2010 was when and where they plotted to assassinate ex-President Jonathan through car bombs during the 2010 Independence Day celebration at the Eagle Square.
He was also requested to name, as co-conspirators, Dr. Raymond Dokpesi, Nasir El-Rufai and his younger brother, Henry.
Okah said he refused the offers out of hand. He was subsequently taken back to his cell and asked to think it over.
The same day at about 5pm, he further said, he was taken from his cell for interrogation, with his blindfold was retained.
The second set of interrogators was different. “They were hostile and very formal; putting it to me that I was the elusive spokesman of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), who goes by the pseudonym “Jomo Gbomo” and demanded the password to the MEND email account,” he stated.
Meanwhile, Onlinenigeria.com had previously reported that a Federal High Court in Abuja struck out one of the charges brought against the alleged mastermind of the 2010 Independence Day bombing, Charles Okah.
About Article Author