- Alaigbo Development Foundation said it has sent out petitions to the International Criminal Court and the US over killing of members of the Indigenous People of Biafra
- The group said the petitions were sent out with full documentation of facts and figures of abuses against the people in south east
- The group alleged that Nigerian military's operation python dance II is aimed at eliminating people from the south east
An Igbo group, Alaigbo Development Foundation (ADF) has said it has taken a step to file a suit against President Muhammadu Buhari; the chief of army staff, Tukur Buratai and some other individuals over the ongoing Operation Python Dance II in the southeast.
The group said it has filed a petition before the International Criminal Court at the Hague over human rights abuses by the Nigerian army against members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).
ADF said the military exercise in the region was aimed ethnic cleaning of the people of Igbo extraction.
READ ALSO: Lagos mourns as Chief Imam dies after a brief illness
Speaking in an interview with journalists on Sunday, September 24, the president of the ADF, Uzodinma Nwala said the group will ensure that a petition loaded with facts, figures and evidences is filed before the ICC.
Nwala said the group had already filed series of petitions against the Nigerian government, the military at the United States Congress.
He also said the ADF is currently documenting incidents that have occurred in the past against the people of the region.
“During our visit to the United States of America, we visited the US Congress, and many other places and we gave them a petition, and alerted them that forces were mobilizing to decimate Ndigbo; in fact, that another pogrom was in the making.
READ ALSO: Customs reveal owners of arms illegally imported into the country
“Our people abroad are working hard. The petitions are virtually ready and, in our own case, we want to make sure everything is tidied up.
“We are documenting every case, this is not an emotional burden to ADF; it is a highly, intellectual burden. The documents are getting ready to prosecute these things.
“The petitions have gone out, including to the ICC on the invasion. As the invasion was going on, documentations were being made, including the videos forwarded to them. We are virtually ready to present the case on the issue of ethnic cleansing,” he said.
READ ALSO: Trump releases new travel ban, include Libya, Chad, North Korea
The group's president also condemned the proscription of the IPOB by the military and the federal government.
He said the move by FG and the military were illegal against the group.
“Again, it is a nullity, even if they start arresting everybody because of IPOB; how many will they arrest? IPOB can change its name to IPOB or any other thing.
“It is a movement of a people and not an association you can register and later, you say you do not want to register,” Nwala added.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
NAIJ.com earlier reported that the US government said it does not consider the IPOB as a terrorist organization.
The US through its spokesperson of the American Embassy in Nigeria, Russell Brooks, said according to its law, the IPOB cannot be categorized as a terrorists organization.
Brooks however said the US is committed to the unity of the Nigerian state despite all odds.
You can watch this NAIJ.com video as Nnamdi Kanu's father speaks about his son:[embedded content]
About Article Author