- Twelve farmers have been killed by some Boko Haram terrorists in Borno state
- Also, 1,300 people were said to have been displaced by the terrorists group
- The attack was confirmed by the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA)
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Sunday,October 21, said 12 farmers were killed and 1,300 others displaced in separate attacks coordinated by the Boko Haram insurgents in Borno.
Bashir Garga, NEMA’s northeast zonal coordinator, made the disclosure in a statement in Maiduguri.
Garba said the insurgents hacked 12 farmers to death while working on their fields on Saturday, October 20, afternoon at Kalle village, 17 kilometres away from Maiduguri.
“They used machetes to kill their victims who were working on their farms; as confirmed by members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF).
READ ALSO: Breaking: Abductors of Kaduna monarch releases wife
“So far, we recovered 12 dead bodies from the fields and nearby bush.
“Three persons were injured in the raids. The insurgents had guns, but did not use them so as not to attract the attention of troops in the nearby Molai village,” he said.
Garga said that the Boko Haram insurgents stepped up attacks on farmers and loggers in recent years because they accuse them of passing information to the military.
The Coordinator disclosed further that one person was killed and 1,300 others displaced when the insurgents sacked three communities on Saturday night in Jere Local Government Area of the state.
READ ALSO: APC exit: Kaduna youths protest against Governor El-Rufai in Kaduna
Garga listed the affected communities to include Dala-Malari, Fuguri, and Femari.
He called on the people to be vigilant and report suspicious movements and persons to security agents.
“Attacks on soft targets is the hallmark of the insurgents’ due to increased military clampdown that has curtailed their activities.
“Humanitarian partners were being mobilized to cater for the victims as soon as possible,” he added.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that 31 soldiers were reported dead, 19 injured and some others yet to be unaccounted for as Boko Haram insurgents allegedly invaded a base of the Nigerian Army in Borno state on Thursday, August 30.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
The incident said that scores of Boko Haram fighters carried out the attack on the base located at Zari, a small community north of Maiduguri and near the border with Niger.
The insurgents stormed the base in 12 gun trucks while some others came on foot in the early evening of that day.
Nigerian Air Force Operations Against Boko Haram | Legit.ng TV
About Article Author