Mother Teresa quotes are sayings that we should all live by. The nun spent her life in dedication and service to others. Through her numerous good works and speeches, she left us with great and inspiring words that resonate with us and guide us through our lives. Quotes from Mother Teresa teach us how to be better people.
Image: facebook.com, @motherteresa
The missionary and nun was born on 26th August 1910 and till her death in 1997, spent her life helping the needy and sick and encouraging the masses to be more involved in charity work. Years after her death, in September 2016, Mary Teresa Bojaxhiu was honoured by the Catholic Church and was recognized as a saint. She is known as Saint Teresa of Calcutta.
So, which are the quotations Mother Teresa gave that moved the masses so much?
Mother Teresa quotes on love
She always advocated for love and kindness and these Mother Teresa quotes show exactly that.
Image: pexels.com (modified by author)
- Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.
- Intense love does not measure, it just gives.
This Mother Teresa quote tells us that we should love each other unconditionally. Your love for your neighbour should not be dependent on what they can do for you.
- Every work of love done with a full heart brings people closer to God.
- Let us always meet each other with a smile, for a smile is the beginning of love.
- You can love all men perfectly if you love the one God in them all.
In a society that is normally divided along religious lines, this Mother Theresa quote teaches us that as long as we love the one God that we all believe in, then these lines shall no longer divide us
- I believe God loves the world through us—through you and me.
- At the end of life, we are going to be judged on the basis of our love for one another.
- The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.
- Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.
Image: facebook.com @st.mt.teresa (modified by author)
- I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love
- Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.
- Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired
- Love is a fruit in season at all times and within reach of every hand
Mother Teresa quotes on service
Since she spent her life in the service of others, most Mother Theresa quotes were based on this. She was always advocating for people.
- Love cannot remain by itself - it has no meaning. Love has to be put into action, and that action is service
- I am not sure exactly what heaven will be like, but I know that when we die and it comes time for God to judge us, he will not ask, ‘How many good things have you done in your life?’ rather he will ask, ‘How much love did you put into what you did?
- It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving
- Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person
- I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.
This quotation Mother Teresa gives as an encouragement to anyone wishing to see a positive change in the world. While you cannot do it alone, the small things that you do can create a butterfly effect that causes even greater change.
- If you can’t feed a hundred people, then feed just one.
- Good works are links that form a chain of love.
- I try to give to the poor people what the rich could get for money. No, I wouldn’t touch a leper for a thousand pounds; yet I willingly cure him for the love of God.
- Let us touch the dying, the poor, the lonely and the unwanted according to the graces we have received and let us not be ashamed or slow to do the humble work.
- It is easy to love people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start.
- It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish.
Image: pixabay.com (modified by author)
- Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go.
Mother Teresa quotes on life
- I want you to be concerned about your next-door neighbour. Do you know your next-door neighbour?
- We do not need guns and bombs to bring peace, we need love and compassion.
- I know God won’t give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish he didn’t trust me so much.
- Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.
- If we want a love message to be heard, it has got to be sent out. To keep a lamp burning, we have to keep putting oil in it.
- Life is a song, sing it. Life is a struggle, accept it.
- There is no key to happiness; the door is always open.
- Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it.
- Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
This means that is it is always good to take a moment to slow down and breathe. In our everyday rush, we can miss what is truly important.
Other quotes from Mother Teresa
- Prayer is not asking. Prayer is putting oneself in the hands of God, at His disposition, and listening to His voice in the depth of our hearts.
- Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.
- Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
- Life is a game, play it… Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
- It is a kindly act to assist the fallen.
- Everybody today seems to be in such a terrible rush, anxious for greater developments and greater riches and so on, so that children have very little time for their parents. Parents have very little time for each other, and in the home begins the disruption of peace of the world.
- Peace begins with a smile.
- Do ordinary things with extraordinary love.
- The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course, it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does NOT determine the value of what we have done.
- Life is an adventure, dare it.
- We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature – trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence… We need silence to be able to touch souls.
- We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
Sometimes it can be hard to see the positive or the results of your hard work. This can make you feel like giving up. The nun tells us that in the grand scheme of things, those small steps are important.
Mother Teresa quotes on giving
- A life not lived for others is not a life.
- Smile at each other. Smile at your wife, smile at your husband, smile at your children, smile at each other – it doesn’t matter who it is – and that will help to grow up in greater love for each other.
- There are many people who can do big things, but there are very few people who will do the small things.
- Be happy at the moment, that’s enough. Each moment is all we need, not more.
- Nothing makes you happier than when you really reach out in mercy to someone who is badly hurt.
- Do not worry about why problems exist in the world – just respond to people’s needs.
- The fruit of love is service, which is compassion in action.
- Never be so busy as not to think of others.
Image: pixabay.com (modified by author)
- It is not how much we do, but how much love we put in the doing. It is not how much we give, but how much love we put in the giving.
- Whenever you share love with others, you’ll notice the peace that comes to you and to them..
- God does not create poverty; we do because we do not share.
- We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty.
- I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God Who is sending a love letter to the world.
Inspiring quotes by Mother Teresa
- I used to believe that prayer changes things, but now I know that prayer changes us, and we change things.
- God loves me. I’m not here just to fill a place, just to be a number. He has chosen me for a purpose. I know it.
- At the heart of silence is prayer. At the heart of prayer is faith. At the heart of faith is life. At the heart of life is service.
- Prayer is as necessary as the air, as the blood in our bodies, as anything to keep us alive – to keep us alive to the grace of God.
- Faith is a gift of God. Without it, there would be no life. And our work, to be fruitful, and to be all for God, and to be beautiful, has to be built on faith — faith in Christ, who has said, I was hungry, I was naked, I was sick, and I was homeless, and you ministered to me. On these words of His, our work is based.
- I always begin my prayer in silence, for it is in the silence of the heart that God speaks. God is the friend of silence – we need to listen to God because it's not what we say but he says to us and through us that matters.
- Every human being has a longing for God. Christians go one step further—not only do we long for God but we have the treasure of his presence always with us.
- Love to pray. Take the trouble to pray. Prayer opens your heart until it is big enough to hold and keep God. We must know Jesus in prayer before we can see him in the broken bodies of the poor.
- If you feel unimportant in the eyes of the world, that matters not at all. For God, there is no one any more important in the entire world than you.
- May God break my heart so completely that the whole world falls in.
- Souls without prayer are like people whose limbs are p*ralyzed; they possess but can’t control them.
Image: pixabay.com (modified by author)
- There are more tears shed over answered prayers than over unanswered prayers.
- Deep down in every human heart, there is knowledge of God. And deep down in every human heart is the desire to communicate with Him.
- If we neglect prayer and if the branch is not connected with the vine, it will die. That connecting of the branch to the vine is prayer. If that connection is there then love is there, then joy is there, and we will be the sunshine of God’s love, the hope of eternal happiness, the flame of burning love. Why? Because we are one with Jesus. If you sincerely want to learn to pray: keep silence.
Mother Teresa quotes do it anyway
These are probably her most impactful quotes of them all. Every Mother Teresa quote do it anyway is geared towards showing people that no matter the odds that are against you, you should ignore them, believe in yourself and do whatever it takes to succeed in your endeavours.
- People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered; Forgive them anyway.
- If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
- If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.
- If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway.
- What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; Build anyway. If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous; Be happy anyway.
- The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you've got anyway.
In the above quotes, the saint was trying to show us that on judgment day, it will be between you and your God; It was never between you and people anyway.
We hope that these Mother Teresa quotes will guide your day to day life. May they show you how to love, service and in overall, be a good person, not only to yourself but also to all others around you.
About Article Author