- Nigeria's electoral body, INEC, is unhappy with the disruptions that occurred during Saturday, November 16 elections in Kogi and Bayelsa
- The Commission registered its displeasure at the thuggery and acts of violence recorded in a statement it released late on Saturday
- INEC also confirmed that some of its staff, numbering 30, who were earlier believed missing have been found
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) expressed deep disappointment at the level of violence recorded in Saturday, November 16 governorship elections in Kogi and Bayelsa states.
In a press statement released on Saturday night to confirm the close of voting across the two states, INEC noted that it took necessary steps to forestall the violence but politicians and others were bent on disrupting the polls.
"Despite all the efforts of the Commission and the promises of the political parties to promote peaceful elections, including several engagements with stakeholders and signing of peace accords, there are reports indicating the process was in several places affected by thuggery and violence, which the Commission unequivocally condemns," INEC said in the statement late on Saturday.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng also reported that INEC said the 30 allegedly missing staff of the commission in Kogi state had been found.
This was disclosed by the chief press secretary to the INEC chairman, Rotimi Oyekanmi, in a statement Sunday, November 17.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android and read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
According to the statement, the staff are safe and sound while they had also concluded their election day assignments.
Bayelsa election: Jonathan expresses disappointment over INEC’s conduct - on Legit TV
About Article Author