- Steve Bruce says the move was advised by the club’s doctor as a precautionary measure
- The Magpies usually have a tradition of shaking hands before beginning a training session
- This is however set to change in the wake of a Coronavirus outbreak in several countries
Even as the world continues to be on high alert against the Coronavirus, sections of Premier League sides are not willing to take any chances.
Such is the case with Newcastle United who have banned players and staff from shaking hands in the training ground.
Steve Bruce bans shaking hands in training ground amid Coronavirus fears. Photo: Getty Images
Speaking on the new directive, Newcastle manager Steve Bruce explained it was a necessary measure as advised by their medic Paul Catterson amid growing fears of the spread of the virus since there have been reported cases in the UK.
"There's a ritual here that everybody shakes hands as soon as we see each other every morning - we've stopped that on the advice of the doctor,” the gaffer was quoted by Sky.
Bruce also admitted there was a subtle panic in Newcastle as is the case with everywhere in the world over the virus.
“Let's hope it doesn't get any worse. We are like everyone else, glued to the TV seeing what happens next. We are mindful of bugs sweeping through,” the 52-year-old said.
As it stands, none of the Newcastle players have exhibited any flu-like symptoms and the management intends on keeping it that way.
The Coronavirus question has filtered into football, with a number of games postponed as a safety measure.
In Northern Italy, the death toll has risen to an alarming 17.
PAY ATTENTION: Become a member of the leading sports Facebook group 'Naija Football Fan Zone'
In China, the Super League which was scheduled to begin this month, was cancelled as the country continues to undergo a necessary quarantine.
So far, the virus has spread to 25 countries including the U.S., the U.K., Singapore, France, Russia, Spain and India.
The World Health Organization (WHO) also declared the outbreak an international health emergency.
Newcastle face Burnley over the weekend with Steve Bruce set to change formation after admitting his side have been fairly uncreative.
The Magpies have only mustered one win in nine matches and currently lie 14th on the log, seven points adrift of safety.
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that the Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed the first case of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) in Nigeria.
The case, which was confirmed on Thursday, February 27, was discovered in an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and just returned from Milan to the country.
The Federal Government has been strengthening measures in advance to curtail any outbreak and has now activated the National Emergency Operations Centre in Lagos to ensure the disease does not spread further.
4-yr-old boxer: I want to become a world champion | Legit TV
About Article Author