- Fears that bandits been bombarded in some states by the military will move other places have been addressed
- Military authorities say troops will prevent the interstate movement of armed bandits
- It was revealed that air assets have been deployed to cover Kaduna, Niger, Nasarawa and Kogi states
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
The Nigerian military has assured Nigerians that its troops will prevent the interstate movement of armed bandits.
The military was reacting to worries from some quarters that armed bandits could escape from states where the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies are conducting various operations at the moment, to other states.
The coordinator, defence media operations, Major-General John Enenche at a press briefing on Thursday, May 28 at the Defence Headquarters, Abuja, said the military has received complains from people in the north-west and north-central parts of the country on the issue.
Major-General Enenche confirmed that the military has received complains on the issue and it will be addressed.
His words: “The high command of the Nigerian military hereby assures all concerned that proactive measures are in place to handle such occurrences.
“To address this specifically, all current operations are in synergy with the ongoing operations in the northwest to tackle interstate movement of armed bandits and other criminals within the northwest and north-central zones.
“In addition, air assets have been deployed to cover Kaduna, Niger, Nasarawa and Kogi states.”
He stated that the Armed Forces of Nigeria is totally committed to tackling all the security challenges in the country until normalcy is restored.
“Hence, the public is requested to continue to provide credible information to the Nigerian military,” he added.
Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari recently ordered the coordination of a major military onslaught against the activities of bandits and kidnappers terrorising Katsina following a wave of recent attacks in the state.
This directive was contained in a statement by Garba Shehu, the president's senior aide on media and publicity issued on Sunday, May 17.
Shehu said a major proactive operation by special forces has now been launched against insurgent camps, adding that the squad, which details are being kept secret, will replace the reactive strikes previously launched against the bandits.
PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!
In a related development, the Air Component of ‘Operation Hadarin Daji’ recently eliminated 27 bandits and destroyed some of their dwellings, along the Nahuta-Doumborou Corridor on the border between Katsina and Zamfara states.
A statement signed by Major-General Enenche disclosed that the operation was executed on following credible intelligence reports that revealed that notorious bandits were harboured in a cluster of huts in the area.
He added that the air component dispatched a Nigerian Air Force attack helicopter as well as a ground attack aircraft to engage the location.
Operation Amotekun: Should it be replicated in other regions? Nigerians react | Legit TV
About Article Author