- Governor Sanwo-Olu has given fresh details over the Lekki shootings
- The governor said on Monday, October 26, that the perpetrators would be brought to book
- Some EndSARS protesters were reportedly shot by yet-to-be-identified soldiers on Tuesday, October 22
PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75,000 or N38,000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos state has said that those behind the shootings of protesters at the Lekki toll plaza on Tuesday, October 22, would be brought to book.
Legit.ng reports that the governor made this known in a statement by his chief press secretary, Gboyega Akosile, on the evening of Monday, October 26.
The statement quoted the governor as speaking during an interview session on CNN, adding that the federal government and Lagos state government would ensure that anyone found culpable in the shooting would be held accountable for their actions.
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos fielding questions from CNN reporter on Lekki shootings. Credit: Twitter/Gboyega Akosile.
“We will be committed to a full investigation of what happened and people would be held accountable. They certainly would be held accountable. We would do everything possible to ensure that they are held accountable.
“People have claimed that their friends and family members have been killed. So, this Judicial Panel of Enquiry is meant to bring all of these stories to accountability; where we can make restitution, where families can prove and identify officers that were responsible for this.
“I am not the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces; I am governor of a state. The report would be out and we would channel the report to all the relevant authorities in the state to ensure that every one that is found culpable is accountable for the act.”
He added that the CCTV footage at the Lekki tollgate would be available for the state judicial panel of enquiry to review as part of the investigation into the shootings.
PAY ATTENTION:Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola discovered a camera at the Lekki tollgate some days after some protesters were reportedly killed.
It was reported that Fashola was reported to have discovered the camera on Sunday, October 25, during an on-the-spot assessment at the tollgate.
The minister allegedly picked up the device with a handkerchief and handed it over to Governor Sanwo-Olu for forensic analysis and further investigation.
What’s the best punishment for erring SARS officers? | - on Legit TV
About Article Author