- FG has announced the reopening of the Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos
- The news was broken on Saturday, February 27, by the minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola
- Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu also confirmed the news, saying that the bridge is now ready for use
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
The federal government has reopened the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos state after the completion of the rehabilitation works.
Legit.ng report that the minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola, announced this via his Twitter handle on Saturday, February 27.
”Third mainland bridge rehab completed. Fully opens to traffic at 12noon today. Thank you all for your patience. Drive safely."
The federal government has reopened the Third Mainland Bridge after six months of rehabilitation.
The government had announced on Wednesday, February 24, that the bridge would be shut for 24 hours from Friday, February 26.
Legit.ng recalls that the bridge was partially shut for repairs on July 24, 2020.
The Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, also confirmed the successful completion of the maintenance and rehabilitation of the Third Mainland Bridge.
In a tweet on Saturday, February 27, Sanwo-Olu told the residents of the state that the bridge is now accessible to all.
“Dear Lagosians, the Third Mainland Bridge maintenance and rehabilitation is completed and is now fully accessible to all. Thank you for your patience and kind understanding during the period of its closure. Please adhere strictly to traffic laws while commuting.
“Third mainland bridge rehab completed. Fully opens to traffic at 12noon today. Thank you all for your patience. Drive safely.”
It was gathered that the construction was initially divided into two phases of three months on each carriageway, starting with the Oworonsoki-bound carriageway whose completion dragged to four months.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the federal government shut the busy Lagos Third Mainland Bridge for scheduled maintenance by the federal ministry of works.
It was reported that Fashola said maintenance of the busiest bridge in the country was to replace damaged components for a better motoring experience.
The minister noted that the maintenance work would last from July 2020 to January 2021.
Wale Akinola is a passionate journalist and researcher. He works as a senior political/current affairs editor at Legit.ng. He holds both B.A and Master’s degree in Communications and Language Arts from the University of Ibadan. He also holds a Diploma Certificate in Peace Journalism. He has over 15 years of work experience in both print and online media. He derives joy in keeping the public abreast of current happenings locally and internationally through his writings.
About Article Author