Manchester United manager, Jose Mourinho has revealed that a new central midfielder will be added to his squad in the summer, but as a replacement for ageing Michael Carrick not Paul Pogba.
Mourinho said this during his Friday press conference ahead of the club’s FA Cup fifth-round tie with Huddersfield Town.
French publication L’Equipe had reported that Pogba who joined Manchester United in a club £89.3 million ($123.5 million, 100.5 million euros) from Juventus in August 2016, had been unhappy in a more defensive role in the team.
The former Real Madrid boss, however, hit back at what he termed as ‘lies’ regarding the France international.
He expressed the desire to strengthen midfield with 36-year-old Carrick set to retire at the end of the season and take up a role on United’s coaching staff.
He said, “We need to sign a midfield player. Because we are going to lose Michael Carrick. Of course, we need balance in the team.
“Some of you (the media) keep saying that we are going to buy that striker, that winger, that left winger, that right winger.
“You can accuse me of many things, but you cannot say that I lied to you. When I don’t want to say things, I don’t say (them). But I don’t take you in other directions.
“We are looking and we are going to try to sign a midfield player.”
About Article Author